Haunting Pasts (Part 1)

(A/N): Set in the very beginning of the first season, that dinner where Elena invites Bonnie and Stefan and Damon just shows up with Caroline. Note that Damon's behaviour was very different at that time.

You rang the Gilbert house's doorbell and stepped back, a slight smirk on your face. Oh this is gonna be really fun.

Your smirk turned into a genuine smile as you saw Elena open the door and you stepped inside to give her a huge hug. You were already invited in, ages ago, so that wasn't a problem.

' C'mon I want you to meet Stefan. His older brother Damon has also showed up with his girlfriend, who by the way is Caroline, but oh well' she was saying as she dragged you towards their kitchen. At that your smirk returned but you hid it. You had already known that Elena would invite Stefan and Bonnie over to get them to bond and you knew Damon was gonna sabotage this seemingly peaceful dinner night. You had kept a low profile so far, not risking either of the Salvatore brothers recognizing you, but it was time to awaken some hidden memories. There's a third vampire in the house boys. Get ready.

_____________________________________________________________________________

'Alright so guys this is (Y/N). She's an old friend I met a few years ago when I was on a vacation in California and we've been really good friends since. Bonnie and Caroline, you've already met her. And those are Damon and Stefan Salvatore' Elena announced, oblivious to  the expression on the boys face. Damon's eyes were wide and his lips were parted in awe, his gaze ranging from shock to disbelief to something else you didn't wanna ponder on. His eyes swept all over your form, getting darker as they progressed. Stefan was straight out staring, his jaw slack. Both of them were dead silent as first Bonnie then Caroline got up to hug you, your eyes never left either of theirs. 

For the first time in years, the boys shared a look that wasn't hate, or jealousy, or anger. It didn't seem like either were going to make a move, so after enjoying their looks for a second, you stepped forward and held out your hand, full out smirking now since none of the girls could see you. 'Nice to meet you' you spoke for the first time, and that seemed to snap Damon back to reality. And now he just looked angry. Gritting his teeth, he clasped your hand firmly and shook it once, his eyes never leaving yours.

'Pleasure' he said, burning holes into your eyes. He looked at you, demanding and aggressive and even a little hurt. Intense. A century ago this look might have sent your emotions haywire,  now it just made you close them down even more.

Stefan also shook your hand before you turned to Elena 'Where's your bathroom again?'

'That way. First turn on your left' you smiled and made your way in that direction but you turned right where you knew the balcony was. Leaning against the railing you gazed over Mystic Falls. Your home.

You didn't even glance back as you heard the door open and shut roughly.  Turning to face the two of them you said 'Hello Salvatores. Miss me?'

______________________________________________________________________________

'(Y/N)' It was Damon who spoke first.

'In the flesh' you smirked.

'How...' Stefan whispered. it looked like he was gonna say more but couldn't find the right words.

'Seriously? That's all you can say? I mean your best friend from the past just turned up after a century and I don't even get a hug? Ouch' you said airily, tossing your hair over your shoulder.

'Who did this? Who made you a vampire? You are supposed to be dead. We heard that they found your body in France, a year after you just got up and left. This....' Stefan was starting to rant now and you cut him off, bored with him already.