21. Against the mirror

Angie was too late. Too damn late for what was probably a pivotal moment in her life.

She'd finally reported Collins and spent hours explaining how the teacher had made sure not to leave any traces. She just hoped the police believed her and would actually manage to find some evidence.

By the time she was done, Kay had come over to pick her up and took her out to lunch so she could calm down and pull herself together. When she was finally done, she went to see Tom. Except he'd already made bail and was no longer there. And she had no idea where to find him or how to contact him. She'd totally screwed up. She shouldn't have gone to lunch.

And now, it was already Thursday and she had no idea if he would show up for their dance practice. So she did the only thing she could do. Wondered the hallways of the school hoping to find him. She really needed to ask for his schedule.

"Hey, Angie."

She stopped and turned around. "Billy, thank God. Where's Tom?"

Billy hesitated a little. "I don't really know. But I do know where Jimmy is and he probably knows where Tom is. He's in the music room."

Jimmy was in the music room? "Thanks so much. Is he okay, though?"

"Well..." Billy drummed his fingers on his chin. "I'm not sure. He seems fine, but something like this isn't that easy to get over, not even for someone like Tom who just takes everything in stride. I'm a little worried that he can't just walk this one off."

She nodded, her stomach tightening into an uncomfortable knot.

"He needs you, Angie. And I think... " He heaved a deep sigh. "I think you kind of owe it to him to be there." He didn't wait for an answer and walked away leaving her feeling even more dejected.

Even carefree, cheerful Billy saw how bad this was. And he was right. Tom had gotten in trouble because of her. And even if she'd never asked him to step in, she couldn't pretend that she hadn't hoped for it, hadn't enjoyed it. She had to fix this.

Determined to make things right, she headed for the music room. Once she reached the door, she froze. Piano music flitted from inside. Sad, emotional, over complicated piano music. She opened the door silently.

Jimmy sat in front of the piano, playing. About six sheets of music were spread out in front of him, but he barely glanced at them. Angie was caught by a sudden desire to either run away and leave him alone or grab some popcorn. Because his posture, the slight crease between his eyebrows, the way he leaned over the keyboard... This wasn't piano practice. He really felt the music, played from the heart.

She remembered what Tom told her about Jimmy hurting too and needing to go out and date. And all she could think of was what had happened? Who'd hurt him so much? And what could she do to fix it?

He finished the song and took his hands off the keyboard. Then he leaned his elbows on it and sunk his face in his hands. Angie knocked on the jamb, feeling even crappier for interrupting, but Tom was a more pressing issue than her embarrassment.

Jimmy turned to her, all serene smile, as if he hadn't looked completely heartbroken a mere second ago. "Hey, Angie."

"Um, can I come in?"

"Sure." He patted the bench next to him then busied himself with gathering the sheet music.

She walked to him warily, watching his every move. He should be pissed at her. But he didn't seem like it. As she reached him, he bent over to slide the sheets in his backpack. And that's when she saw his tatto. Two Chinese letters on a flaming, narrow parchment, etched on his skin where his neck met his back.