Chapter Two

I washed myself under scalding water, trying to see what I was doing through my vision that was blurred by an attack of tears. I was washing his scent off me completely; he'd been so close you could smell him for hours. Hot water and coconut soap, I found, did the trick.

Werewolves love to touch.

They didn't have to actually have sex with you for them to feel satisfied. Touch was mostly enough and for wolves with mates it had to be. A lot of wolves stayed pure for their mates – it's how it is done, in most packs its law. In most packs you could be exiled or even killed for losing your purity to one who wasn't your mate. This law saved me many times from Zac and Jonah getting too out of hand with me.

I shut off the shower and wrung out my hair before rubbing my face with my wash cloth and quickly wrapping myself up in a towel. The steam fogged up the bathroom and I knew I'd be hearing about it later from Michael that I either had to open or window or not shower at all.

I liked the steam – I could barely see myself. I avoided looking in mirrors. I didn't need to validate myself further that I looked nothing like my mother or my half siblings.

Pulling on some leggings and a gray cotton shirt I wrapped my hair and collected my things, sniffing slightly as I pulled open the door. Padding across the hall to my room I watched as my hot feet left marks on the hardwood floor.

I threw my dirty clothes in the hamper of my room and was relieved I no longer smelt like the toilet or Zac anymore.

"Dinner!" Mom called up the stairs.

Great, I thought with disappointment.

Dinner isn't fun. Not for me anyway. Jada and Laurance, my half siblings, were always questioned by Michael about their day and in turn they'd question him. Whenever mom asked me about mine I'd utter out a 'fine' as Michael glared over his food.

Seventeen years of dinners that I never felt comfortable enough to eat.

I heard Jada leave her room and another set of feet followed her and I closed my eyes in frustration as I realized the Alpha's daughter, Fiona, who is also Jada's best friend, would be here for dinner.

Sullenly I made my way downstairs and into the living room, admiring the finely dressed table that my mother would have worked on for a while, along with the roast she set in the middle of it.

"Evelyn sweetheart, I didn't see you come in," she exclaimed as she pulled me into a hug.

"I just needed a shower," I said quietly. She looked at me with a crease in between her brows and I thought up a lie. "I spilt paint on myself in art class, I smelt terrible all day."

She let out a laugh, "Oh dear. I'm afraid you get the clumsiness from me."

"I'm not clumsy," Jada said snootily – as does any fifteen year old bratty pre-wolf.

"Of course," mom said absently as she placed the last set of glasses on the table.

"Fiona," I murmured as I respectfully bowed my head. She lifted her nose up in the air, like I was a piece of mud on her shoe. I ignored the look; I was so used to being looked at like that, that I didn't even care anymore. Besides, conversation was off me and that's how I liked to keep it, I hated trying to lie to mom. A werewolf can smell a lie so if you're going to tell a cover story you're going to want to truly believe it yourself.

Taking a seat at the table, across from Laurance who was reading a medical book I awaited the impending arrival of Michael. The worst part of the day. The front door opened and shut and I held onto my seat as his footsteps thumped on the floor and came in our direction.