Introduction

Change.

It's a constant in a werewolf's life.

Well, you could say it's a constant for anybody really, but a werewolf would experience it more frequently. From the moment they're born they are evolving and growing, rapidly adjusting sharing their mind with a volatile creature.

A werewolf will share its mind with its shifter side from the moment he or she turns eleven. They feel their wolf's primal instincts and can eventually be trained into understanding them fully and being able to converse both in wolf and human form.
This takes a lot of time and training and if your wolf doesn't show up in your head when you reach eleven you aren't to partake in any training. Eleven is a milestone year, it's a year parents fear their children aren't like those around them, and a year when children wonder if they've been gifted a wolf by the Moon Goddess.

If all goes well at age eleven, then the age of fifteen is the next big one. The wolf in their mind now has the ability to shift, taking over your human side and taking on the physical form of a wolf.

The wolf is a volatile and jealous creature. The change for a young shifter is like puberty for humans only with more mood swings. The wolf that has been trapped inside their humans mind is now able to run free. A young wolf will anger easily and with the right amount of coaxing or bating can push any young wolf over the edge to shift.

A young wolf is a dangerous wolf.

It's at this stage the werewolf/human gains all the cool abilities such as healing super quickly, excellent hearing and brilliant sense of smell to say the least. They would also gain some massive amounts of strength and speed.

The third major change in a wolf's life is their biggest, because it changes the whole course of their future and the makeup of their personality. This change can either make you or break you as a being.

This next step is where they find their soulmate. This usually occurs around the age of eighteen but some wolves have been known to only find their mates much later on in life, simply because their wolf was stronger than their human side. The mate would help balance the other and create a stronger wolf in each of them.

A wolf is able to find its mate just by a scent. It's usually confirmed by looking into the others eyes but a scent is usually the first giveaway. It's enticing and it clouds your mind in such a way that it only really mellows out once the two mark each other.

Like humans wolves have their own God – Goddess correctly put.

The ultimate Luna.

According to the stories, the Moon Goddess was a witch – she created the first wolf. He was powerful and strong, the perfect Alpha, however his temper and lack of control over the beast within him drove him to the brink of madness.

The Moon Goddess knew that he would not survive without another by his side. Splitting his being in two she sent the other half of him into the universe, and the magnetic pull of the two souls would eventually drag them together. If a wolf wanted to feel whole, they had to control their beast, or live a half-life.

Each supernatural culture has their own story and name for the Moon Goddess. She was the same being – still the most famous witch who created different magical beings. For Vampires she was known as the Great Mother, for Merfolk she was the Siren. To witches, she was Morgana and I believe that was her actual name. For the Lycan's she was a symbol that was held so reverently you'd never blaspheme of her in their presence. A Lycan is the ultimate werewolf; they're stronger than your regular wolf – much stronger. They don't live in large packs, just usually in small close groups. They never shifted into a full wolf; they looked like every terrifying Halloween werewolf you'd ever seen. You'd never mess with a Lycan.

I'm not really a wolf but I'm not really a human, I'm somewhere in the middle which isn't fun, especially in one of the most blood purity conscious packs in the United States.

The only reason I'm talking about this is because I'm just a year off turning eighteen – and I have no wolf physically or in my mind, which further strengthens the pack view that I shouldn't be here. Half-breed mutt is what they called me.

An apt name considering that's technically what I am. I didn't get the wolf in my mind at eleven, or the physical wolf at fifteen so the chances of me getting the mate at age of eighteen were not high. I still had a year to prove myself. I doubted any miracles would occur.

My mother – who is mated and married to the pack Beta, Michael - had been buying me as much time as she possibly could. Maybe I was a late bloomer – heck it happened, but if by the time of eighteen you showed no signs...I knew what would be coming for me and she couldn't protect me forever.

My half siblings were fifteen now and were in the training group with their wolves. They didn't associate with me, not like they used to before they knew about pack prejudices.

Michael despised me, not because I was a half-breed, well I'm sure that was part of the reason, but he really hated me because of how I was conceived.

My mother had been raped when she was seventeen and I was the result.

The only thing that confused people was what had been strong enough to subdue her wolf for the attack to happen. Whatever it was had been classed as evil which of course in turn, made me evil. Werewolves are strong, almost up there with the same strength as a vampire – yet I showed no vampire traits.

But I could do things...only recently anyway. Maybe they had been flukes, like closing my eyes when I wanted the sensor light to turn off – it felt too early but maybe it hadn't. The dead plant I walked past in Miss Jones' garden the other day and I'd felt sad about it, when I came home it was alive again.

No one knew that I was doing – or wasn't doing – this stuff.

Aside from the weird things I could do – or couldn't do – I did get some werewolf traits. For instance, I was fast. I could run like the wind. My vision was slightly better than a humans but not by much and my hearing was alright but it was nothing to brag about.

But I was still strange.

No one understood what I was so I couldn't be accepted.

I didn't want to be, not here anyway.

This was fine because once the school year finished I would be exiled from the pack and all contact from my family would be off limits. I didn't mind being exiled so much, the only thing I minded was never seeing my mother again.

The whole course of my life she has protected me, or at least done her best. She couldn't shield me from every beating or abuse I suffered from these people. I stopped going out alone altogether just to survive and get out of here in one piece.

Ihave nothing but horrible memories of this place and to see the back of itwould be the best thing to ever happen to me.

www.bethanyshayporteous.com