Chapter 6 ~ Hey, I Just Met You....

"In violent emotions, we do not read, we wrestle down the paper which we hold, so to speak, we strangle it like a victim, we crush the paper, we bury the nails of our wrath or of our delight in it; we run to the end, we leap to the beginning; the attention has a fever; it comprehends by wholesale, almost, the essential; it seizes a point, and all the rest disappears." ~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

  Molly could not get to sleep. Excitement seared through her bones. She did not know why she was so happy, but the feeling felt so good, she did not want it to stop. Molly's eyes drifted over to the bed across from her. In the dark it was difficult to tell if Taffy was still awake. Molly found herself hoping she was. She did not want to be the only one with the weird feeling. She was already strange enough as it was.

  "Molly." Taffy whispered.

  "Yeah." Molly replied a bit too eagerly.

  Taffy hesitated. "Uh...do you know where the bathroom is?"

  Molly smiled into the darkness. "I don't, but we can look for it together." She suggested.

  "Thanks." 

  Both girls slid out of their beds barefoot onto the cold stone floor. The school was so much like a castle that Molly would have felt like a princess if she hadn't been sent here to be a prisoner. None of the girls were allowed out of their rooms at night, but Molly assumed needing to use the bathroom would be an acceptable reason for wandering the halls in the dark.

  She didn't know where the nearest bathroom was, but she knew all the girls had to share with each other based on room placement and floor level. If she remembered correctly from the map of the layout she'd barely been allowed to look at, each residence hall was supposed to have two bathrooms at either end.

  Molly and Taffy tiptoed down the hall in search of the bathroom, shivering as the cold seeped through their feet. They turned right at the next corner.

  "Here." Taffy said, gesturing to a dark opening the size of a door.

  But Molly didn't stop. As if she were in a trance, Molly kept walking.

  "Molly!" Taffy hissed as quietly as possible. Molly still didn't stop. Taffy glanced longingly at the opening to the bathroom, then back to Molly. She really had to pee, but if she let Molly continue down the hall on her own, she might get lost of caught by a night patrol or something.

  Taffy tapped her foot, getting rather annoyed. "Oh, for the love of Pete!" She huffed, then hurried off after Molly after giving one last longing look at the bathroom.

  The two wandered the halls for quite a while before Molly stopped suddenly in front of Taffy, causing Taffy to crash into her and yelp in surprise. Molly broke from her stupor as she stumbled forward.

  "Careful." She warned. Molly looked around, her eyebrows knotting. "Are we at the bathroom yet?"

  Taffy lightly jumped from left foot to right foot and over again. "No. We passed it about forty-five minutes ago. You just kept on walking so I followed you to make sure you were okay."

  "Wait....what?"

  "I have no idea where we are." Taffy explained. "I wasn't really able to focus on all the turns we made and you just stopped a second ago. Were you sleep walking?"

  Molly thought a moment, then shook her head. "I've never slept walked in my life." 

  Taffy continued to shift uncomfortably. "Well, do you know where you were going?"

  Molly opened her mouth and glanced around, but froze when her eyes rested on the door on the right of the corridor. It was a light mahogony with an elegant gold placard that read "Library." Without thinking and without a word, Molly stepped over to the door and opened it inward. She stepped inside.