Chapter 4 ~ The Second Step

Two Months Later ~ 2008

  Molly sat in an armchair next to the couch on which her parents sat. Across from them sat Dr. Sherman in an old-fashioned wooden chair. He took notes on a pad of ugly yellow paper. Molly had her arms crossed tightly across her chest while she glared conspicuously from her mother to Dr. Sherman.

  "We can't do this anymore. She won't eat, she won't sleep. She's making us feel like the bad people here." Mrs. Miller complained.

  Molly ground her teeth together to keep from shouting at her mother. She was the bad guy. Ever since Sam's death, she hated Molly even more than usual. The tolerable mother had disappeared and her dislike was no longer restrained like it had been when Sam was around. Mr. Miller was no help. He had reverted into himself and barely noticed Molly's existence anymore. The loving father he had once been died along with Sam.

  Sam seemed the deciding factor. He always made everything better. He took care of Molly and loved her enough for the entire family. But he was gone now and couldn't protect her from the complaints and lies of adults.

  "She stands around and watches us with those accusing eyes. She thinks Sam's death is our fault." Mrs. Miller continued.

  "Is that true, Molly?" Dr. Sherman asked. He was the psychiatrist for the family ever since Sam's death or as Molly liked to refer to him, "the stupid shrink." He listened to everything Molly's parents said, or really everything her mother said and never seemed to hear Molly.

  "If it is?" Molly challenged.

  "Why do you blame your parents, Molly?"

  Molly ground her teeth again, hating the way her name sounded coming from his lips. "I don't blame my parents. I blame my mother." She said contemptfully.

  Mrs. Miller pursed her lips while Mr. Miller continued to stare at the floor.

  Dr. Sherman stared calmly at Molly. "And why is that?"

  "Because it's her fault. She sent Sam off to the army. She gave him no other choice! Now he's gone and she's acting like I'm the new problem--like I'm a virus in this family!" Molly shifted her eyes to her mother and spat. "Only I always was in your eyes, wasn't I mother?" 

  "That is not true!"

  "It is so! You always despised me, but Sam protected me and shielded me from the worst of it. You hated that he looked after me, so you sent him away!"

  "That's not true! I love you."

  "Oh please." Molly chided in disbelief.

 "I do. You're all I have left. You mean the world to me--"

  Molly sat up angrily and cut her mother off. "Don't. Don't you say that to me. Not you."

 "All right, let's just calm down." Dr. Sherman said.

  Mrs. Miller took a deep breath and wiped a stray tear from her face that Molly knew was fake. Molly slowly relaxed back into the armchair. 

  "Sam was old enough to make his own choices. He knew what he was doing. He wanted to leave." Mrs. Miller stated, glancing sideways at Molly.

  "Shut up." Molly said, her temper rising.

  She continued, ignoring Molly. "He knew he was leaving you behind, he knew the risks. Sam had to grow up at some point and leaving you behind was the first step. He just didn't want to upset you by explaining it all." 

  "Shut up!" Molly screamed, standing up and striding over to her mother. "You killed him! You took him away from me!"

  Dr. Sherman quickly jumped up and grabbed Molly before she reached her mother. Molly struggled against his hold around her waist. Dr. Sherman dragged Molly out of the room. He closed the door and shoved her out in the hallway.

  "You need to calm down, right now!" He pointed his finger at her. "Don't move."

  Dr. Sherman went back into his office while Molly bit her tongue and blinked her eyes furiously to keep from crying.

  "You see what we have to deal with?" Mrs. Miller sobbed from inside.

  "I'm going to recommend someone you should speak with. He owns a school not far from here. I believe he may be able to help you." Dr. Sherman replied.

  Taffy walked down the stairs to the lobby. She had just finished two months of rehab in the Chrysalis Treatment Center. The worst days had been the first few weeks when she was going through withdrawals. The days got better after that and Taffy was almost happy she had gone through all the pain. Now she was clean and ready to face life again.

   Her parents met her in the lobby and signed her out of the treatment center for what she hoped was the last time ever. Then they led her out to the car. When they reached home, Taffy almost cried at being back on familiar ground after such a long time. The moment was shattered a few minutes later.

  "We have something we'd like to talk to you about." Mr. Williams said, looking gingerly at his daughter.

  Taffy couldn't help but smile at his seriousness. "You guys can talk to me about anything."

  "We don't think you should go back to Benwood High."

  "Okay, so I'm switching schools?" Taffy asked, not comprehending.

  "Yes, but the school is in Maine. Hallowell, Maine to be exact. It's called St. Ignatious School for Girls." Mr. Williams explained.

  Taffy's mouth popped open in surprise. "Oh."

  "You're upset." Mrs. Williams said, her eyebrows scrunched up in worry. "I told you she wouldn't like it." She said turning to her husband.

  "No, no I'm not upset. I'm just surprised is all. I mean, I just got home and now...your sending me away again." 

  "Honey, we only want what's best for you. This school will help you continue down the right path. Plus you can always come home on holidays and breaks." Mr. Williams added.

  "I understand. When do I leave?"

  "Tomorrow morning." Mr. Williams said hesitantly.

  Taffy hid her disappointment at having to leave home after barely seeing it. It was a sacrifice and she remembered Officer Plackard's advice well.

  Molly forced herself to become numb. She refused to look at her mother or her father. The latter couldn't help her anyway and the fomer would only have a triumphant look in her eyes that would make Molly want to strangle her.

  She watched silently as her "escort" from the St. Ignatious School for Girls carried her bags out to the vehicle. He had been sent by the Dean of the school to collect her because her mother considered her a flight risk. Her mother wasn't wrong by any means, but Molly still hated it all the same. She would have run if she'd had the chance.

  "They'll take good care of you." Mrs. Miller said, petting her hand down Molly's hair once.

  Molly flinched away from her touch and strode out the door without another glance at her parents. At least being away at school meant she didn't have to see her mother. Molly climbed into the back of the vehicle and slammed the door. She refused to look anywhere but out the front windshield. She knew she'd never see her house again and she didn't want to.

  "I hate you. I hate you both." She whispered as a silent tear slid down her face.