Chapter 12-Luke

*A/N-Another short chapter! But these are just setting up for the main event! :P Anway, thank you for reading and voting! Leave your feedback in the comments! Thank you!!

This is copyrighted. All Rights Reserved.

“What the hell, Reed?” Logan, my receiver shouted, his voice shooting up three octaves as he sprinted over to me and grabbed my face mask. He was two years older than me, full of experience and playing time. Though he was a little shorter than me and leaner, he could power through almost anyone that came after him. He was a great catcher, as long as the pass was within reach. But today was not going so well. I was throwing like I barely knew how to hold a football. 

Logan shook me by the face mask, trying to knock some sense into me. He was one of my best friends at this school. And he was pissed off at me.

I didn’t blame him.

I overthrew or under threw every pass possible today. I couldn’t focus. I had been back two days and couldn’t seem to get back into the swing of things. Something I had shoved into the back of my mind was nagging me. Or should I say, someone. “Luke, where are you today?” Logan asked, letting go of my face mask and shaking my shoulders. I sighed.

“I don’t know, man,” I said, not meeting his eyes. Logan’s shoulders slumped. 

“Luke, I’m sorry about what happened with your dad. I know, it sucks. But you’ve got to get back into your rhythm, we’re counting on you this year.” I shook my head. 

“I’ll get it, Logan.”

He nodded. getting back into position. I got down behind my center, Ace, and shouted, “Hike!” He snapped me the ball and I jumped back, scanning the field for Logan. I spotted him down the field to the left and aired it out to him. I overthrew it by about ten yards. 

“Damn it!” I spat, ripping off my helmet and slamming it on the ground. 

“Reed! Get your ass over here!” Coach Morris yelled from the sideline, and I quickly jogged over to him with my teeth bared. I waited for his anger, forcing mine down so that I wouldn’t give him some smart ass comment. But instead of yelling and shouting in my face like I was sure he would, he put a heavy hand on my shoulder pad and narrowed his eyes at me.

“Lucas, I can tell something’s wrong. What’s up?” I raised my eyebrows at him, a surprised smirk on my face. Coach Morris shook his head. “Listen, Reed, I’m not your mommy, but when something is bothering one of my players enough to affect their playing, I need to know what it is so that we can fix it.”

“Sorry coach, I’ll get over-“

“Lucas, you said that yesterday too. I don’t need you to ‘get over it,’ I need you to find a way to push past it. I know what’s happened to you is tough, but I can tell something else is bothering you. What is it?”

I sighed, a face flashing across my mind.

“Nothing, coach-“

“It’s a girl, ain’t it?”

My eyes widened in surprise. 

“How did you-“

Again, Coach Morris interrupted me. “Son, I know these things. You better figure out a way to get her up here fast because I can’t have my quarterback throwin’ passes like he hasn’t touched a football in years.”

Again, coach surprised me. “Bring her up here?” I asked incredulously. 

Coach nodded, “What better way to spend the summer than touring the beautiful ‘Bama campus?” He winked, then stepped away and looked out at our team. He grabbed his whistle and blew it. “Hit the weight room boys!” When the boys groaned, Coach smirked, “This’ll hurt you a lot more than it’s gonna hurt me.”

After the team finished with our dreaded weights, my roommate and I, Miles trudged back up to our dorm to take showers. I let him take a shower first in our private bathroom, laying on my bed with my hands behind my head. I thought about the call from Brittany yesterday, how terribly lonely she sounded. I could hear the hidden betrayal underneath the steely anger in her voice. I sighed, blowing out all of the air in my longs.

Why did she have to be so difficult? It was like she knew what my dad had made me promise about her. And she was trying to make me break it. 

Okay Brittany, I thought, Get ready, ‘cause your ass is coming to Alabama.