Chapter 28: A Change Of Heart

The flames blazed high through the night sky. The fire crackled against the wood and echoed throughout the forest. But nothing broke him out of his trance.

My voice called his names three times in the past five minutes but his cold, hard stare never left the flickering orange light. I pressed my hand soothingly against his face. I was shocked to feel how chilly it felt despite how close we were to the fire.

I didn't blame him for his distant demeanor. It had been a long day and night for all of us. But I didn't like how helpless I felt with my mate. How was I supposed to pull him out of this? There wasn't a handbook for mates or this kind of situation.

"This is all my fault."

"Dante?" I whispered.

"I never should have let any of them fight."

"Bobby is going to pull through, Dante, I promise. As for the rest well they knew what they were getting themselves into."

I placed my hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him but he shrugged me away.

"Arianna, just don't."

I winced when he used my full name. It felt like he had struck me. Even when we first met it was always Ari.

"Please don't push me away Dante. I have had years of your broth-" I choked back the words as tears streamed down my face. I fought to shove the memories of the fight from earlier back into the deepest parts of my mind.

"Don't you dare speak of him," he growled.

He was shaking now. His wolf fought to break through and any moment he would shift out of anger. The whole ordeal had been too much for us. We both lost people close to us.

"You need to calm down," I barely managed out.

"Just go away."

My hand trembled when I reached out to touch him again. Weeks ago just a simple touch was enough to calm him down. Now I wasn't sure I could do much of anything for him.

My body craved for him to take me into his arms and comfort me. He needed to tell me everything was going to be okay. I wanted him to cradle me while he nuzzled his face into my neck and inhaled my scent. I needed him to tell me he still loved me after everything that happened today.

I closed my eyes and sighed in relief when he allowed my left hand to curl around his right hand. After a moment I opened my eyes to see him staring out at the damn fire again.

"I love you," I whispered. I didn't think he would hear me.

"Damn it, Ari!" he yelled before throwing my hand to the side, "Just leave me alone right now."

He stomped off into the woods but didn't go too far. He wouldn't leave the fire until it was completely burnt down to the ground and embers were the only thing left.

I couldn't see him in the dark but I could still feel his presence on the other side of the forest. It was as far away from me as he could possibly be right now. I knew he blamed me for everything that happened, even I blamed myself.

Sniffling, I sat on the log Teague had set on the ground for me when he started the fire earlier that night. I cradled my head in my hands as the tears flowed from my eyes again. I couldn't keep the screams of pain or death at bay anymore.

It was time to let the memories through my mind.

**

I should have known something wasn't right the moment we arrived in Christian's territory. The negotiations with the Dark Hill's territory went smoothly. Daniel's pack was more than willing to follow Dante into the war with the hunters.