Chapter 6: Don't Go Breaking My Heart

The week passed by slowly. Things with Tristan were escalating since he promised to claim me. Now that everyone knew I was his mate he was even more protective during night classes. Hannah and I became partners again. I wasn't allowed even remotely near another guy.

She was the only one I told about his decision to claim me at the Alpha meeting. From the looks Theo was giving me, Tristan had told him as well.

We were rarely together in public. He was always busy with his Alpha duties. But at night when I patrolled the borders, he would secretly meet me. We would spend the rest of the night together talking.

The rogues hadn't attacked again. I couldn't figure out if I was happy or upset about it. I still hadn't told Tristan about my other mate. Every time I tried the words just refused to come out of my mouth. He still hadn't said anything about it. I was reluctant to bring it up.

It was Saturday afternoon. We were all sitting in the meeting hall in the center of the village. The pack meeting my uncle called was about to start in ten minutes.

All seven packs were meeting. Only the important members were allowed to attend. I sat myself down on a bench between Theo and Teague. I was allowed to attend since I was the future female Alpha for my pack. Any decisions to be made Bruce still had to discuss with me since I was of age. He was only a stand in until Tristan came forward and claimed our pack.

Tristan was sitting in one of the Alpha chairs at the top of the stage along with half of the others. Bruce and Terrence were two of the four there. We were waiting for Alpha Christian and Alpha Regan to arrive.

He was speaking in hushed tones with Bruce. His fists were clenched at his sides. The veins on his forehead were slightly popping out. His eyes were narrowed. I wondered what they were talking about to make him so tense.

The whispers were too quiet for me to hear. But I could tell his voice was strained and on edge. He felt my gaze and turned to look at me. Theo bent down to my level.

"He thinks you're sitting too close to us."

I laughed, "Tell him to calm down. He has nothing to worry about."

"He wants you to move."

I shook my head at him.

"This is so demeaning. He says please baby."

"Would he rather I sit with you two or some of the other males in this room?" I asked. I began to stand up but Theo pushed me back down.

"Stay where you are."

I looked up at Tristan. He was glaring at the hand Theo had placed on my arm to force me back into my seat.

Alpha Walter finally stood up and cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. Every five years the Alphas voted a leader to control the pack meetings and make the tough decisions in a crisis. The past four years Walter had been in charge.

He was the Alpha of the Water's Edge pack. He used to be one of my dad's most trusted friends. They grew up together and both took over their packs around the same time. They backed each other up on every decision made. My father, Walter, and Daniel were the ones who got voted into leadership the most.

Alpha Daniel was the leader of the Dark Hills pack. My father and Daniel had formed an unspoken alliance together for the past ten years. Tristan joined them once he took over as Alpha.

The other Alphas, Christian, Regan, and Terrence, had formed a similar one while Walter tried to stay neutral the whole time. I hated to think what would happen when they voted a new leader this year.