Chapter 4: Fate Has A Cruel Sense Of Humor

"You look like hell," Logan snickered. He poured himself a cup of coffee the next morning.

My head rested on my left hand. I tried to keep myself from falling over as I rested on the kitchen stool.

"I barely slept at all last night," I admitted.

"I know. You kept me up most of the night."

"I'm sorry."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I dreamt that the rogues slaughtered our pack."

"Ari."

"I can't get that night out of my head. Every night my dreams are filled with death."

"I know how you feel. I wish there was something I could have done to help out. I keep feeling like I could have prevented it."

"You weren't even here Logan. There was nothing you could have done. Me on the other hand I should have fought harder to save him."

"Don't blame yourself Ari."

"I wish I knew how they got through our borders or what their next move is."

"Well Bruce says they're going to call a meeting soon over the information Tristan brought a couple weeks ago."

"It's about time. I can't believe they're demanding land from the packs. It's really brave of them to demand that with no bargaining chips."

"They threatened to take the Alphas' mates and families if we don't comply."

"Ah, that's what Uncle Bruce has been holding back from me and avoiding me all month."

"He's concerned about your safety. We all are."

"What about Aunt Fiona, my mom, Jerry. Shouldn't he be concerned about them too?"

"Your mom doesn't leave the house. Fiona and Jerry aren't a real Alpha family. You and Jerry are the only ones in the family that patrol the territory borders at night. Have you seen him fight lately? He's going to be incredible one day."

"I know. His fighting really has improved immensely. We have been having private lessons with Teague on nights we don't patrol."

"Damn, maybe I should be doing that."

"He's going to take me off patrol isn't he?"

"I won't let him Ari, I promise. I know what it means to you to be able to go out there and run as a wolf. He won't take it away from you."

"It's the only way I can sleep at night."

"We don't have patrol tonight. We should all go running down by the river."

"Can we?" I asked excitedly. I loved running with my friends.

"I'll round up the guys later."

"Please, I need to get my mind off of everything."

"Anything else going on you want to talk about?"

I hesitated for a few moments.

It was an ongoing battle in my mind. I didn't know if I should tell him I found my mate. Hannah was the only person who knew. She had been sworn to secrecy until I was ready to tell everyone.

She glared at him during our night classes. She made fun of him and her sister behind their backs. It lightened my mood greatly.

I hadn't even told my mother yet. It was best I didn't tell him yet. It was a bad idea with the rogues threatening Alpha mates. I couldn't risk him worrying about me all the time.