So many Corridors

<pre>Quinn's POV

We quickly made our way down the cold corridor, making me shiver at the damp walls around me. We froze in our place when we heard soldiers crossing the path before us. I cursed the fates when the soldiers spotted us. The guard beside me grabbed my wrists tightly and dragged me along. "State your business, now!" the soldier demanded, his voice bellowing through the dark halls. "Apologies, the Lord Merek has requests him at this time." the guard said tightening the grip in my aching wrists. "Get on with it then!" another soldier bellowed after him. The guard solemly nodded and pushed me down the damp corridor past the guards.

He released his tight grip on my forearms and I rubbed the sore fully. "Apologies" he said looking down at my already bruising wrists. "It's forgiven. I understand the circumstances." he nodded and we continued down the long corridor.

After what felt like ages, we saw a light, signaling the King's Ballroom. We silently peered around the stone corner to find the empty majestic Ballroom silent.

We crept across the magnificent ballroom. If was even more beautiful before Lord Merek stripped away it's beauty and elegant interior. We approached the masive double doors that led to the throne room. I circled around without the guard before he could sneak through. "Where are you going?" he spun around to meet my gaze. "I must find her" he nodded understanding my meaning. He followed close behind me down another dim corridor towards the slave's chambers. "You may choose not to accompany me, my friend." I warned him, pausing before continuing down the corridor. "thanks you but I do not request your condolences. I will aid you in finding her." And we started sown the slave's corridor once again.

As I expected the corridor breaking off to the slave's chambers was dimly lit as well, with the soft orange glow from a torch in between each door way. I searched quickly for her as we passed many chambers. In one doorway, I finally found her. Careful not to wake the sleeping angel I entered her chamber while the prison guard waited out in the corridor.

I kneeled at her bedside, my heart aching to feel her touch once more. I gently placed my hand on the side of her face, softly waking her. She looked up at me, her beautiful eyes flickering like the lamp upon her chamber wall. Her eyes lit up as she focused on my face. She suddenly wrapped her arms around my neck, embracing me tightly. I held her close to me, loving the feeling of her finally in my arms again. I felt her warmth against my cold body, so accustomed my chilling, damp cell for so long.

"Quinn" I heard her whisper into my neck "how did you escape? Did the King release you?" I was too happy to say anything. Just feeling her in my arms was overwhelming. "I tried to come see you. I did Quinn, but I could never sneak away from my master's eyes. I'm so sorry" I chuckled at her apologies. "you musn't be regretful for anything my love. We must leave now though. My absence in my cell will not go unnoticed for much longer" I cautioned her and when stepped out of her chambers, cautious of our surroundings. "Who's your friend?" Mershada asked pointing her question to the prison guard fleeing with us. "Marcus" he answered himself.He had freed me from my bindings, allowed me to free my love, and I didn't even deign to ask him his name. "Gratitude then Marcus" I said as we entered the Ballroom once again.

"This way" Marcus said as he took an alternate path beside entering the thrown room and alerting Lord Merek. I can hear the soldiers shuffling feet and yells from down in the dungeon as they noticed my absence from my cell. As we flees down a different corridor it cursed the fates because it was pitch black, where our eyes could not see our hands in front of our faces. As I saw a sliver of moon light escaping on if the empty chambers I led mershada and Marcus into to the escape the soldiers. "The window" I whispered hearing the soldiers gaining on our tails. Mersada nodded and I lifted her up as she crawled out of the castle with little difficulties. I started to fear and Marcus and I would not be able to fit through our small window that meant escape. I called Marcus over as he only shook his head. "you go my friend. I will be with you in time" I hesitated but heard the soldiers rounding the corner. "Go!" he yelled. Quickly, I hoisted myself up and squirmed out of the window onto the fresh grass that covered the hard earth.

I turned back to help Marcus when just as the soldiers had eyed him, he vanished before my eyes. I gaped at where he had once stood. The soldiers spotted me and I quickly jumped up and took Mershada's hand as we ran towards the forest. Just at the tree line I turned back to look at the beautiful castle my best friend had built ages ago. It was once an honored place, a place of joy and laughter, but now it was one if cruelty and judgment. I turned back to face Mershada and she gently squeezed my hand once more, and we took off again, fleeing into the dark, stair lit night. Now I feel like the wolves I had heard howl every night in my battered cell. But with one exception.

Now, I was free too.</pre>