Clockwork Heart Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

The next few days were wrought with exhaustion. Though there was no longer a killer about the three of them still had worries in the back of their minds. Their entire reason for building Titan was edging upon them. Millie had decided they need a base to work from, one where they could live and do what they did best without having to masquerade herself to traverse the city streets.

Thus, only two days after the downfall of the Ripper, Millie walked home with Titan at her side. He lumbered around much more smoothly and he was slowly learning to move his face now that they had made some adjustments. The wonder in his expression as he saw things for the first time was truly incredible and sent tears to her eyes. It was like having a child that was seeing and experiencing things as they learnt about the world.

She would study Titan’s consciousness and see if it grew and adapted like a human which would be a long term project, not something they would learn overnight. But she had time, she reassured herself as she wandered around her new bedroom, plenty of time.

She hadn’t brought much with her, she had instead commissioned those who had lost their jobs due to the fire at Clancy’s Clockworks to build furniture for her new home. It was not a long term solution but it would work well enough until she got the new factory open, which would happen within the month thanks to generous and eager volunteers. It had surprised her just how much people had cared for her father and their company when he had been such an unfeeling and tortured man. But they had and out of respect to him they had set about repairing the company so the orders could be completed by deadline. It was fortunate that there were as many as it was winter rather than the summer months which were busy no matter the industry.

A sharp rap on the door brought the young woman’s attention to the door. She turned on her heel and stared at the inanimate object for several long seconds before releasing a sigh.

“Come in.”

The person obeyed immediately and Emma came waltzing in. She had changed so much over the course of this. She was horrified that she knew a little of her father’s betrayal due to her close links to the family but she had never received full disclosure. It had created a rift between the two women which is why this was only the second time she had spoken to the woman since the death of her father.

“Good morning, Ms Wright.” She whispered, her voice straining to hold back the emotion.

“Good morning Miss Clancy,” They stood opposite one another and fidgeted over and over until the older woman finally snapped. “Can we drop the formalities? I have seen you through some tough times like your first crush when you were ten years old. There shouldn’t be such awkwardness between us.”

Millie considered for a moment, pacing back and forth before turning to the woman and nodding.

“I can accept that… Emma.”

“Good, because I need some advice.” The older woman promptly sat herself on a chair in the centre of the room and tried to focus her thoughts.

With her browns furrowing together, Lady Clancy stepped forwards and knelt before her friend. “What’s wrong?”

The mousy woman’s cheeks flushed at the questioned and she stroked her gloved hands up and down the length of the chair’s arm before sighing.

“Sir Henry had …” she paused and felt the heat burning within her face. “Sir Henry has asked me to marry him.”

“Oh my, what did you say?”

Millie leant forwards to hear the whispered reply.

“I didn’t give him one.”

“Are you crazy? Why not?” She asked. Incredulity was thick within her tone.

“How could I… I am so confused. I like him, really like him but I cannot let myself be with him because he was intended for you. Surely you know my loyalty will always be to you first. I love you like a sister and a surrogate daughter as I have not been blessed with my own.”

Millie watched as tears formed in her friend’s eyes and thus despite the tension between them, she stretched out her hand and clasped one of her friend’s gloved ones.

“I can assure you that neither Sir Henry nor I have designs on one another. I do not think we would be a good match where he constantly finds himself staring at you. It would not make for a good marriage. At least I do not believe so.”

 She squeezed the hand within hers and wiped away her tears.

“I may not have agreed with the secrets you kept from my father but you deserve to be happy. You have suffered enough in your life and if you do not grab this opportunity at happiness, I will be disappointed. Besides, you can’t have your old job back, I have hired a new companion and I would rather you married than out on the streets.”

She gave a small laugh and her grey eyes twinkled as she helped the now smiling woman to her feet.

“Now, clean yourself up and then take one of my coaches to see Sir Henry. Take Percy with you so I know you get there safely and he can convey the happy news back to me.”

She released her hands and stepped backwards. “Now go, before I march you to Sir Henry’s myself, nightgown and all.”

The woman laughed and backed away, stepping towards the door only to pause with her hand on the guilt door handle.

Emma Wright looked back at the girl she had watched grow up, the strong woman who was now standing on her own two feet and offering her advice. Her smile couldn’t have gotten any wider as she let her pride shine through.

“Thank you.”

Not waiting for another response, she wiped her face with her gloved hand, drew in a deep breath and hurried from the room shouting Percy’s name at the top of her lungs. A happy laugh escaped her lips and the irregular steps down the hall told Millie that the older woman was skipping.

She laughed and turned away, crossing to the window so she could watch as the lively woman climbed into the carriage with the assistance of her best friend and rode off towards her future.

“Goodbye Ms Wright.”

She knew that the next time she saw the woman she would be walking down the aisle to become Lady Emma Lamb. After all, Sir Henry was far from rule follower and his care for the woman would not allow him to wait. Nor would he risk the chance that she may change her mind.

Millie laughed at the thought before he mind settled on more important matters. The city was still in a state of shock and she would not rest until it was on its way to recovery. Even if it took several years to do so, she had time and more money than she knew what to do with.