Chapter 4

Chapter Four

It was almost six in the evening when the pair arrived back at manor. After saying abrupt goodbyes, Percy linked his fingers together and gave the young blonde a boost over the high garden wall. It was easier getting out than it was getting in but the teen supposed that was her father’s wish. It was easy to escape should they need to but there were no unwanted visitors.

Running flat out across the damp grass, Millie hastened to loosen her clothes as she approached the side that was closest to her room. A wooden structure had been attached to the side so that the vines could climb up the side but she used the frame now as a ladder and without pausing for breath placed hand over foot until she was at her open second floor window.

Hopping through, she winced at the loud thud. Glancing around at the gloom within, she shucked off her outfit only to still. Her head swivelled side to side as she examined everything and her hands went to the steel fire poker which was sitting in the pot beside the window. She took it into her hand and held on to it tightly as she continued to examine the room but again came up with nothing.

Still on edge, her eyes continued to search the room as she discarded her sodden casual wear and slipped into attire that would be more respectful of her father’s expectations. She didn’t want to even imagine her father’s reaction if her realised his daughter had left the house in britches and without a corset.

A knock sounded on the door causing Millie to jump around to face it, pulse thrumming in her neck.

“Millicent,” a female voice whispered against the wood. “Miss Clancy, are you in there?”

Releasing the breath she hadn’t even realised she had been holding, Millie fastened the buttons at the front of her day dress before hurrying forwards to pull open the door.

Ms Wright stood on the other side, her hair now in a neat braid down her back and her reading glasses perched on top of her head. Laughing, Millie stretched up her pale and charcoal covered hands to retrieve them before handing them over to the bewildered woman.

“Oh, I completely forgot about these.” She took them daintily between her thumb and her forefinger before her free hand grasped Millie’s. “You’ve been over there again, haven’t you?” Clucking her tongue, the brunette shook her head before dragging the younger woman towards the bathroom.

“Yes, we’re deciding on what to put forward for the fair. We’re hoping to win a prize as the guys really need the money. I tried offering them some of my ridiculously large dowry because I certainly don’t need it but they both refused.” 

“Men have their pride Millie. If they have nothing else, they have that and even the best of them will not lose that. They would rather perish than be at the feet of someone else.” Catching the younger woman’s look, Emma Wright folded her spectacles and giggled. She recognised that look for she had been just as incredulous when her own mother had told her about the faults of men. “I know, it is ridiculous but when have men ever been sensible?”

“You have a point there.”

“It’s because I am wise beyond my years and will probably teach your children about these things in the years to come.”

Turning away from her governess, Millie picked up the royal blue corset that was hanging over the side of her bed and held it out to Emma in a peace offering. She did not want to get angry because she was sure that anger would be all she was feeling after she spoke to her father, it was how they communicated.

“I forgot about our mechanics talk.” Emma added in casually though the woman who was currently having her breath stolen from her lungs thought it was far from casual.