Clockwork Heart Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

It took two days of hard work to get the heart completed. Millie felt awed and yet strangely empty as she eyed the metal contraption that was a replica of the one that resided inside of her chest. The natural aspects gave it a soft blue glow that shone out through the gaps in the metal. When the life blood would pump through it, Millie wondered what colour it would turn.

Letting her gaze rove over it for a few seconds longer, Millie had to turn away, her bleary eyes no longer being able to focus on it.

She had never wanted for anything in her life but right now she wanted to understand her father more than ever. Why had he tried so hard to save her only to push her every day to get married off to one of his wealthy competitors and friends? It was beyond understanding and yet at the same time, Millie thought that she was his guilt. Every day he had to look at her and hear about another murder in the paper and he would again be reminded that it was his fault that people were dying.

“So how exactly do we ensnare the Ripper to us so we can give them the heart?” Stretch asked as he sipped another hot chocolate, this one just melted chocolate and milk. It was normal by his standards which showed just how exhausted he was that he could not take the time to make something more extravagant.

Percy who had reverted completely into his inventor persona, looked up through a pair of goggles that were strapped around his head and cocked his head to the side.

“I hadn’t thought of that.” He looked at Millie and the goggles lifted on one side.

She gathered from the movement that he was lifting a brow at her in silent question so she held back her giggle and smiled grimly.

“There is really only one plan. We make me the bait. At worst case, the Ripper tears out my heart and we have a handy spare to replace it. The genius in my father’s design is it evokes a conscience in the being. So although they have free thought and can act on their own whims like a normal person, they will also have a voice in the back of their head telling them what is wrong and what is right.”

She sent a triumphant smile at the guys but it quickly fell when she noted the expressions upon their features. She may smell a bit but she didn’t think their wrinkled noses and sour expressions were because of that .

“There is no way you are putting yourself in danger. You’ve already had too many close calls. I will cuff you to the walls if I have to, if it means it will keep you safe Miss Clancy. Do you understand me?” Percy had ripped off his goggles during his rant and was now glaring at the woman opposite him.

She backed up a step and glanced at stretch for help but his expression was much the same.

“No, you will not fight me on this. I will not let someone else die because of me and you will not stop me. I can get out of ropes and cuffs. I can pick a lock better than either of you. There is nothing that you can do or say to make me change my mind.” Acting like a petulant child which brought reluctant smiles to her friends faces as she stomped her feet and folder her arms across her chest.

“So what, we just sit back and watch you get yourself killed? Not bloody happening.” Stretch nodded his head in agreement as he stood beside Percy. Together they attempted to be intimidating but she had grown up with her father and he scared her more than them – and this was her last wish to her.

“No. What you can do is help me? I can’t do this on my own but I will try if you both refuse.”

“Fine, what’s your plan?”

Thus, sat around at the dining table for over three hours, the trio planned their assault upon the Ripper. It was public and incredibly stupid which is why each went to bed praying to their gods. They prayed that they would be successful and that no one would be forced to die to ensure the safety of the town. And yet each held, in the back of their minds, the lingering dread that they may not all survive the next encounter with the cold bloodless automaton that did not care about whose heart they tore out.