Chapter 1 ~

I awoke to the alarm clock making a ghastly sound in my ear I looked over at the time to see I was already late to school. I quickly ran to my en suite and hopped into the shower washing my long black hair then rushing out of the shower and throwing on Milton’s Academy school uniform. I ran to my window to see all the cars gone already on the 20 minute drive filled with pack members that still attends high school.  

    As I descended the 3 flights of stairs, I ran to school already drenching my school polo shirt in sweat. As I walked into the empty corridor I ran to class hoping that I wasn’t too late but as I turned a corner I collided with someone and I knew all to well who that person was. It was Matt, my brothers best friend. He was future beta of the pack and I’ve also had a crush on him since I was 11.  But as I ran into him I heard my wolf screaming MATE and as I looked up into his eyes to see lust then anger and disgust.  As I opened my mouth to speak to him he quickly fled and just as the bell rang students starting pouring into the hall while I sat there still shocked as to what just happened.  I was in the process of getting up when I heard a familiar giggle and the a kick landing to my back pushing me down face first into the cold marble tile. I looked up at the group of students looking at the scene before them and saw among that group laughing along with everyone else was my brother Jason and Matt. I just realized that Ashley the bitch that makes my life hell as much as she can sent another blow to my back but I was all to use to it that I just felt numb while she was throwing profanities at me. I was so shocked as to why Matt wasn’t helping me when he knew we were mates, he used to take part and just and watch all the time when this happened which was everyday but why wouldn’t he help his mate know that he knew.  I couldn’t help it any longer I took the opportunity when Ashley stopped to laugh at something behind her and get up to call out to Matt.

“Please help me Matt, how can u sit here and watch me get hurt knowing were mates.”

“I don’t know what your talking about you ugly piece of crap I would never be mates with someone as ugly as you.” replied Matt.

As he was saying that I saw Jason emerging from the crowd listening to every word with an angry expression on his face. I knew he didn’t believe me.

“Why the hell would you say something like that Evelyn, we all know you were obsessed with Matt but this is low even for an ugly slut like you.” Replied Jason while sending a slap across my face with all his strength.

  I couldn’t hold back the tears anymore as I ran outside into theforest that lined the back of the school. I cried there for what felt like hours but in reality had only been a few minutes, when I felt a familiar presence nearby. I shot out of my crouched position and dried the tears from my face when Matt appeared with a blank look on his face and as I walked closer to him I saw what looked like regret in his eyes but it left as soon as it came.

~~Matt’s POV~~

  I opened my mouth to speak but closed it again not sure how to say it. But what the hell its not like I care about her.

“ I Matthew Evans formally reject you as my mate” and as I was saying that I felt my wolf howling in pain. But the look on her face as she fled the forest after what I said wouldn’t leave my mind.

   So I walked back into the lunchroom looking for Ashley or any slut to get my mind off of Evelyn. I found Ashley and another of her easy friends and lead them to my car and that’s what we spent the next hour doing to get my mind of her but of course I didn’t tell them that. I didn’t tell anybody that Evelyn wasn’t lying and that she was my mate.

~~ Evey’s (Evelyn) POV~~

  I couldn’t believe it the pain my wolf and me was in was too unbearable. As I fled from the forest and back home to the pack house where everyone lived including Matt, decided that I had to leave that I couldn’t stand to see there face again it would already be to much on my broken heart. Plus its not like I didn’t have anywhere to go, I had a friend of my dads that was Alpha of a pack in California. So as I ran home I called Richard, my dad friend when he was alive, and I told him everything I couldn’t hold it in anymore and he gave me the address saying I should come up and live with their whenever I could.

  I walked in through the quiet house and packed my bags with all the thing I would need because I was never coming back here again, I also grabbed the picture of my parents with me and Jason before they passed away. I called a cab and gave him the necessary information before I printed off a ticket for California and wrote a note to explain my absence even though they wont care less.

    Dear whoever that sees this or cares,

I cant handle the abuse or name calling that has taken place for the past three years after the death of my parents and your ex-alpha that I was always blamed for and I guess it really is my fault that their gone. But I know a pack supposed to be there for you through anything, especially your big brother. But I guess my life has never been normal. I just wanted to let you guys know that I really loved you all no matter how bad I was treated and I love you Jason even though you hate having to be called my brother. Also, goodbye Matt I will always love you like a mate was supposed to love their other half.

       Sincerely, Evelyn.

    After I wrote the note I placed in on the kitchen table knowing someone will see it there. I grabbed my bags and went outside to wait on the cab that just round the corner. After a half an hour of driving we finally left the small town of Tennessee to go to California shutting of all connection with my old pack and officially becoming a rogue… well just until I got to California. I let out a small smile with tears running my face that I finally felt free.