Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Message

We are now temporarily set up at an apartment on Main St. No one knows how or where the fire started. It seemed like it just.. started with no cause. But that's impossible, right?

Everyone is still grieving over theirs friends and family members who were lost in the fire.

I met Terri, Jim's wife. I did my best to comfort her, but it was hard. All I could tell her is that he died saving another's life. He died a hero.

We try to stay positive though. We all know that we can't start thinking negatively. We can't survive that way.

~~~*~~~

At 3:00pm Jay called us to meet in the lobby. He gave a speech on the lost lives and how they will be missed. He told us that we must stay strong. He told us that we could make it through this. That this was just a rough patch in the road. I wanted to believe him. But I knew it could only get worse from here.

After he was finished I went up to him.

"Do you really believe what you said? Do you really think it'll get better?" I said.

"Bethany, you and I both know that it cannot get better." He said without looking at me.

"Then why would you tell them otherwise?" I started to get angry.

"Why would you give them false hope like that?!"

Jay looked around at the group of survivors and smiled slightly.

"Sometimes a happy lie is better than a sad truth."

~~~*~~~

I lie awake, despite the late hour, my mind racing with thoughts and fear of another disaster. There's a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Jay." He answers. "It's important."

I get up and open the door for him.

Jay rushes in clenching a small piece of paper. He sits down in my bed and tells me to close the door.

"Bethany, it's another message." He says quickly.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"They, the aliens, they sent us another message."

I took me a while to comprehend what I was just told. The aliens have sent another message. I manage to get myself to talk again.

"Wh-What did it say?" I stutter.

Jay hands me the crumpled paper and begins to pace the room. I nervously open up the sheet to see three words in black ink.

'It Has Begun'.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

AN:

OH SNAP. Y'all are gonna LOVE the next chapter tho