Chapter One

I felt like I was drowning, my hair was wrapping around my neck and going into my mouth, along with the water that was choking down the back of my throat and up my nose and into my eyes. I could feel the hands on my head and shoulders that pushed me further into the porcelain bowl and I wondered if death was a better alternative than receiving my weekly swirly.

Finally the flushing stopped and the pressure on my shoulders left as my attackers vacated the bathroom, letting the toilet lid smack onto my head. I ended up heaving my breakfast into the bowl, discoloring the water and I was glad they weren't here to shove my face in it.

It had happened before.

Getting up I stumbled toward the sinks, washing my face the best I could, but the smell of toilet water would be stuck on me all day. I can't believe people buy perfume that smells like this. I hovered under the hand dryer for the whole first period until all the remnants of the water vanished and I stumbled into the hallway as all the classes emptied, following the sound of the siren.

I watched as people either thudded or trotted through the halls, laughing and slamming lockers. The girls wore their nicest clothes and cute little bags as they flicked their hair and paraded about like some bad teenage sitcom.

I didn't dress like them – it would bring way too much attention to me from the wolves if I did. Seeing as they were very visual creatures if I dolled up it would be like painting a big bright red target on myself saying, 'come here guys and beat me up', no thanks. I made sure I didn't under dress either, that would still bring me attention from the humans and the last thing I needed was them on my back as well.

My clothes generally consisted of jeans, T-shirts and a pair of muddy worn sneakers that had once been white. I needed a new pair but I didn't dare ask mom in front of Michael, he'd throw a fit.

It was Tuesday morning so my next session was art, hopefully no one would call me out on the fact that I had missed the whole first period – the fewer questions I had to lie over the better. This class was relaxing for me, there was only one other werewolf in this class however she didn't even look in my direction so I was able to enjoy this one solid hour of peace.

"You are all aware that today is the final day you have on this assignment, and that I'll be marking them over the weekend so I expect that when you leave here today, your easel will hold a completed portrait. If it doesn't..." Miss Fields gave those who she knew wouldn't be finished a sour smile but didn't continue.

The assignment was supposed to be a painting of the vase in the center of the room and we could choose whatever we decided to be inside it.

I wasn't putting anything inside it; instead I was focusing on the vase instead, the intricate details. Everyone else was doing flowers – though Amy, the cliché looking emo girl was drawing thorn sticks coming out of hers.

As the class neared its finish I leant back on my stool to admire my work. I had done a plain white vase with light pink triangle patterns going across it. I did put one flower inside after changing my mind, but seeing as I had rushed it, it looked limp and wilted.

Jumping as the siren went I dropped my brush and hurriedly picked it up as people gathered their bags and left their pictures on their easels. Miss Fields was already circling the room like a vulture, murmuring to herself with her marking sheets.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and made to leave; tripping on my shoe as I haphazardly grazed my foot on the floor.

"Oh, Evelyn?" Miss Fields chirped.

I cringed and shut my eyes. "Miss Fields?"

"I hope to see you enter last semester's piece into the winter festival. I think you'd place well and if you wish to go on and study art it would be good for you to start building up a portfolio." Suddenly she was in front of me, smoothing her blonde bob and pressing her lips against her teeth, I watched in avid fascination as her lipstick got stuck on her front tooth. "Every year you say you will but I never see it."