Legacy: Betrayals (Chapter Five)

You know what I just realized? I've had this, written and editted for god knows how long, and I had no clue I hadn't posted it yet :P Sorry guys, im just so swamp with shit to deal with, i think im losing my head. And, instead of subjecting you to paragraphs of my bitching, ill skip that part and just let you read :D :P

Enjoyy

V

Outside was silent. The animals had all fled, the battle scaring them off. I couldn't hear any hunters outside, other than the few who had been heading towards the battle that I had quickly taken care of. Still. I wouldn't trust it until i saw it with my own eyes. The castle, my home, was huge, housing many visitors, royal families, the Guard, and all the donators. On a normal day, it would take about five minutes for me to run around the grounds. But this wasn't a normal day. I wasn't just running, I was searching, and i was being cautious. I didn't want to run unknowingly into a group of experienced, armed hunters. I figured it would take around fifteen to twenty minutes if I was thorough, checking a bit of the surrounding forest as well. But I wasn't sure if i had that much time. Who knew, maybe they were already breaking into one of the entrances. But I had no choice, really. I had to be thorough, making sure I didn't miss anything.

Alright, I thought, not wanting to waste anymore time. Let's go.

I started heading to the left, the side that held all of the residents, and also, coincidentally, the most entry points.

Painstakingly cautious, I searched all around the outside of the castle wall, katana in hand, making sure no one was breaking in at this moment. Once I was positive that was all clear, I started on the forest bordering the castle.

I had constantly questioned the logic of keeping a forest around vampire castle but I had always gotten the same answer. 'It's always been there, it always will be.' For something so potentially life threatening, the vague answer had never satisfied me. Eventually though, I let it go. If my parents thought it was worth it, so be it.

I shook the old argument from my head so I could focus. I couldn't afford to screw up what I was doing right now.

Yet, the more I searched, the more my doubts grew. If they really were planning an ambush, where were the ambushers? I should have been able to hear the sound of many breaths, or footsteps, but everything was quiet. It didn't make sense. Why else do what they did? Why else sacrifice all that potential? If not for a diversion, why?

"Looking for something?" Startled, I jumped. Whirling around, I searched for the source of the voice.

"Over here," a deep masculine voice said from above.

I glanced up, stumbling back when I saw the man perched on a branch above my head.

He had on black sweat pants and a black t-shirt. His hair was cropped military stile, his green eyes shimmering with mischief against his fair skin. I noticed a glint at his waist band and my eyes zeroed in to the knife tucked there.

A hunter, no doubt.

My heart beat increased, and I raised my katana, readying myself for a fight. He was above me, which gave him the advantage, but I also had vampiric abilities.

He smiled, a lazy, careless smile that transformed his straight, military face into something almost friendly. Did I trust it? Not at all.

"You won't need that," he said, nodding slightly in the direction of the long, slightly curved blade I held in my hands.

"I'm sure," I said, the back of my neck tingling. If this was what I had been looking for, where was the rest of the hunters? Were they hidden somewhere? Or was this man a diversion? The urge to turn around and check my back was overpowering, but I resisted, not willing to take my eyes of the obvious threat in front of me.