Chapter 2: Mesmerized

Kelisse roused from her sound sleep. She zonked out after satiating. The resplendence of the dawn was witnessed by her very eyes that she only sees in pictures and movies through the seamless window of her hotel room. The glory of the sunrise... She was bedazzled by that awe-inspiring sight she considered a miracle. ...was added to the beauty of the panorama. She finally got up and walked towards the window then there she stretched her body until she totally saw the emergence of the sun. "Good morning to me." she mumbled. When already contented with the view, she headed to the bathroom to fix herself up.

The cool morning breeze greeted her chubby cheeks. She decided to have a heavy breakfast by the terrace. She took her time staying there for three hours making an organize list of her places-to-go. Thanks to the hotel's free Wi-Fi for she's only using a phone that's of an old model which is fortunately a Wi-Fi capable one.

......

Looking snazzy on a plain pale yellow long sleeve shirt with a plaid scarf, denim skinny jeans and white go-go boots, she sped down the building excitedly ready for her trip. She's also geared with black framed pair of glasses, a digicam on one hand, and a not so small body bag. "Beautiful day!" she shouted on her mind as she stood by the main entrance of the hotel. The sun's shining not harshly so it was favorable for her to enjoy the walking. To visit the Jade Buddha Temple was first on her list followed by Shanghai Museum, People's Square, and Shanghai Xin Tian Di respectively. When the sun was already on its highest, she stopped at Yuyuan Garden, where she had her late lunch. Next to her destination list was the Nanjing Road to shop for cheap souvenirs and some presents for family and friends. She sees to it to avoid asking people. Scared that she might freeze to death due to her lack of knowledge in Mandarin for she only knows a couple of phrases such as "Ni hao ma" and "Wo ai ni". And the truth is, she's actually afraid to interact with others. She's of antisocial type that she would rather stay at home, alone. She may be a bit aloof but she managed to have five friends whom she can chat with whenever she wants to but only thru exchanging of text messages which is not bad at all. Friends from the past years of school, she had lost track with and communication but at least they are friends in some social networking site though not the type of friends whom she can share her rants, problems, and even her joy.

The funny thing the five have most in common is that they are all hopeless romantic and still have the tag status of NBSB under their names, well, except for Novelle who's currently working abroad. She's the only one who has an experience being in a relationship when she was in college, but then, it ended in just a short period of time.

After hours of shopping, her terminus for the day is the cafe fronting the Huangpu River, the main branch of the cafe she's targeting of having a franchise. Arriving there at the peak of rush hour, it's lucky that she found a table and it's the only one vacant. She laid the paper bags properly under the small round table. While waiting for her orders to be served, she searched her mp4 player inside her body bag, brought it out and put on its earphones. Moments later, her milk tea and a slice of black forest were already set on the table. As she's taking her time relishing with that sweet snack, she brought out another stuff which is a mini-notebook. Then after flipping several pages, she started to draw a design of sweet baked bread-like food.

Engrossed in her music player and sketching, she felt something landed on her back that made her to stand up abruptly. Her specs that was directly hit by the notebook that she accidentally thrown in the air, and a gadget fell on the ground.

"Oh! Sorry to startle you! I didn't know that there's this thing in your ears." she heard someone apologized and saw him stooped down picking the scattered things. Some of the people were looking at them but went back to their businesses when found out nothing's wrong.