Knight in Shining Armor

"My darling? Are you here?"

The voice of a young woman pierced the suffocating silence that hung in the dimly lit chamber. The smell of blood was everywhere, and a deathly fog tainted the air.

"Caspian? My darling, please answer me!" A beautiful girl no older than twenty entered the room, wearing a dress that might once have been that of a princess, but was now torn and stained a deep rust red. The maiden only made it a few steps inside before a look of absolute horror covered her dainty features, and she was unable to stop herself from screaming.

"No, Caspian! My dear Caspian!" She took off running to the unmoving figure that lay in the corner, almost completely concealed by shadows and blood, so mangled it was nearly unrecognizable.

The girl kneeled down beside the body, sobbing uncontrollably as she caressed its head, placing it in her lap. "What has that beast done to you, my valiant knight?"

Upon hearing her cries, the one she was speaking to slowly opened his eyes, gazing up at her pain-stricken face. He longed to comfort her in some way, but his strength was draining quickly from his body; all he managed was a quiet moan.

"Caspian? You're still alive?" Her words were strained, but the joy at seeing that her companion was still living died after only a few seconds. "You don't have much longer, do you? That foul creature couldn't even bother to ease your suffering . . ." Her body was once again racked by sobs.

Caspian made a noise that might have been at attempt at telling her everything was okay, but the sound was so pain filled that she could barely tell. Nevertheless, she smiled at his attempt to cheer her up.

"My darling, how did this ever happen to us?" A wistful smile appeared on her face. "It seems only days ago that it was just us living here . . . Then again, I suppose it was just a few days ago." Memories flashed in her eyes, remembering a time that must have been so much happier.

"Do you remember the day we met in the woods? That was ten years ago. Ten years I've spent in this castle with you . . ." More tears dripped onto Caspian's face.

"That time is gone now, isn't it? How I long to have had just one more day together, my love . . . But you're nearly gone already, I can tell." She choked on her words, as if she didn't want to believe what she was saying. "I won't pretend otherwise, I know your time is almost up. Our time . . ." This realization seemed to finally break her, until she was a sniffling mess, desperately pressing her face against that of her beloved Caspian.

"I love you, my darling. I love you more than anything else in this world." Her voice took on a new tone. "That horrid beast will pay for what he has done. He will suffer far more than what he has brought upon you, that I promise."

His breathing became more and more shallow; it was painfully obvious that they had only moments left. Caspian used his remaining strength to bury his head in her lap, nuzzling against her as if to let her know there was no place he'd rather spend the last of his time. It appeared that she got the message, as she bent down to kiss his forehead.

"I'll see you again someday, Caspian. I'm sure of it. And I want you to know . . ." she whispered in her tear-shaken voice. "I want you to know that you were all I ever needed. I love you." She began to hum a quiet lullaby, his favorite, and watched as his eyes closed. Moments later, he was motionless, finally gone, but still she did not stop humming.

So absorbed was she in this final moment that the girl took no notice of the sounds coming from the outside corridor. Heavy footsteps grew louder and faster, but she still did not stop her melody, nor did she take her eyes off of Caspian. That is, until a voice called out only steps behind her.

"My love, I have come to save you! Was that singing I heard? You must be so overjoyed at my presence!" She refused to look up at the intruder, instead continuing to stroke Caspian's rough, blood-stained scales.

"My, is that blood on your dress? Are you okay?" The worry in his voice made her sick. "Don't tell me that foul beast managed to injure you. He must surely be dead from that wound by now."

She could feel rage building up inside her, nearly as hot and dangerous as her beloved Caspian's fire had once been.

"My love, please don't be this way! You are starting to worry me. Might I see the lovely face I worked so hard to save?"

She turned around, glaring at the beast who had ruined her life. She couldn't take this anymore. Somehow, in some way, she was determined to make life a living hell for this so-called prince. He had taken her knight, her best friend, her Caspian, away from her.

After all, the princess had really loved that dragon.