You Again

"Stop it! I knew I should have never agreed to this. How did you even manage to talk me into it?" As she said this, she held her hands out, making wild gestures as if to prove her point.

"I like to think it was a combination of our quick wit, abundance of charm, and irresistible personalities. And the fact it's an awesome idea." The speaker wore an easy smile on his face, seeming to laugh at his own comment as he leaned against a wall of blue lockers.

"Yeah, and what happened to being all excited? Two years ago this was all you could think about," the boy standing next to him added on. He was identical to the first in every way, and he seemed amused by the situation around him, the twitching of his mouth betraying a smile.

"Two years ago this wasn't even a possibility! Two years ago it had just happened! Two years ago everything was different!" As she said this a tear pearled in the corner of the girl's eye, and it appeared as if she was willing it not to come out.

"But aren't you curious?"

"Don't you want to know?"

"Don't you want to see her?" the twins exclaimed, chorusing the last part together.

"I just . . . I don't know. What if I don't recognize her? What if she's different? I've spent so long building up this image of her, trying to save the few memories I have . . . I don't think I can handle any more pain." Now she was full on crying, and one of the twins put his arm around her, hugging her to his chest.

"Aw, Kel, it's okay. You're probably only nervous. I would be, too."

"If you really don't want to do this, you don't have to."

"No, no, it's alright. You guys worked so hard for this to happen, it would be rude of me not to follow through. Just . . . Do you think she'll be the same?" Her expression was so hopeful, bittersweet memories flashing through her eyes.

"Everything you remember."

"Everything and more."

"Now get in there!"

With that, the girl reluctantly pulled away from the twins, a nervous smile on her face. As she approached the large wooden door, she thought about everything she would say, everything she would ask, and she had to force herself to not cry again. Slowly, she raised a pale hand to knock on the door, and only seconds later did a woman open the door, much older than her and wearing a crisp uniform.

"So you must be our new student! We were wondering when you would get here. Please, sit anywhere you like. We'll do introductions later."

The young girl scanned the room, looking for something, anything that would stand out, some sort of sign. I thought there would at least be some gut feeling to guide me through this. Just as she was ready to give in, a flash of golden brown hair caught her attention, and the girl knew she had found who she was looking for. Her eyes misted as she made her way to the empty desk next to her, and she had to concentrate on looking as if nothing was amiss. Finally, she sat down, and to the girl's surprise, she immediately started talking.

"Hi! Welcome to our school. My name's Azure. Who are you?"

The girl was so astounded that it took a few moments for her to respond. "Oh, hi . . . I'm- um- my name is Kelda." She's so pretty! I wish I could hug her.

"What a pretty name!" She was so bubbly, so full of life, just as the girl remembered. "So, what made you transfer here?"

If it had been anyone else (excluding the twins, they knew everything about her) she would have lied, but this was her, and that meant the girl had no choice but to tell.

"Well, you see, I've had a rough past two years. My mom, she . . . she died not too long ago. I mean, I guess two years is a lot of time, but everything happened so suddenly, you know? It feels like she should still be here." The girl was on the verge of tears. Again. Calm down! You'll ruin everything!

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I understand that, wanting a fresh start. Maybe I could help you?"

The girl couldn't believe what she was hearing. Coming back to see her was one thing, but was this too much? But it didn't matter. She had come to spend time with her, and if this is what it took . . .

"Thank you, I'd like that very much." And with that one sentence, it felt as if a weight had been lifted off of the girl's chest. She still felt the loss of her mother, but now she had something to fill that hole. With genuine happiness on her face, the girl turned to the beautiful young girl beside her, her once deceased mother, her newly made friend, the events of the future no longer troubling her.

A/N: Okay, I've just gone back and read this again, and good Lord was it confusing (and I wrote it)! So, to clear things up, I think that I meant for this to be about a girl whose mother dies, and two years later she goes back in time to see a younger version of her mother. I don't feel like rewriting this completely, but I might add a few more hints to make it more obvious later on (once I feel like actually writing). Also, I think I only put the twins in there because I'm a huge fan of Fred and George/ Hikaru and Kaoru.