Courting Kate: The Family Visit

“They say that home is where the heart is

I guess I haven't found my home.

We keep driving around in circles

Afraid to call this place our home.

And are we there yet?” –Are We There Yet, Ingrid Michaelson.

10

Kate didn’t know when is the best time to talk to Giancarlo about Gianni’s admission. Anyhow, she didn’t even managed to exchanged more than a couple of words with him because he retreated to his office with Giuliana when she came back to the porch. She was already sleeping when he went to bed.

The next morning, everyone was too busy packing their suitcases for the trip back to London. Kate tried to entertain Gianni as much as she could while the kids’ nanny packed for them.

“When are we coming back?” He asked.

Kate cuddled him to her side and replied, “As soon as daddy is not so busy anymore.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Just then, Erin cried out, begging for attention. Kate swung her up in her arms and inhaled her fresh baby scent. The little girl giggled happily, clasped her mother’s face with both of her chubby cheeks and kissed her soundly.

Kate felt a fresh wave of tears forming but swallowed the lump in her throat. She hoped with all her might that her memories would return soon.

As soon as he was satisfied that the kids and Kate were strapped properly in their seats, Giancarlo opened his laptop and worked beside Giuliana on their seats inside the private jet. He barely lifted up his head when Kate stood up and brought their sleepy babies into the cabin.

When the pilot announced that they were landing in five minutes, Giancarlo closed his computer and turned to the woman beside him.

“This is enough for now. Let’s continue later at the office.”

When the aircraft stopped, he stood up and went to the next room where he found the three most important people in his life sleeping side by side.

Kate had her arms around both their children, who were lying on each side of her. He sat down carefully so not to awake the kids and shook Kate’s left leg.

“Cara,” he whispered.

She released a small moan of irritation at being awaken just like she used to do whenever he shakes her awake. But she slowly opened her eyes, blinked a couple of times before focusing on him.

“Giancarlo.”

He smiled slightly. “We’ve landed. Don’t wake them up,” he warned with a sheepish look. “I’ll carry Gianni. Can you manage Erin?” When she nodded, he moved to straightened up but she suddenly sat up and put a hand on his arm.

“I have to tell you something.”

“What is it, baby?” He brushed her hair away from her face.

“Gianni said something about Giuliana,” she started. When he didn’t say anything, Kate started to tell him the story. “Gianni said she found them one day and she said something about you—”

The door suddenly opened with the woman they were talking about filling the door way. “Giancarlo—” Giuliana broke off then smiled apologetically. “Oops, sorry. It’s just that we have to leave for the office now, caro.”