Courting Kate: The Return of the Beginning

“I took the stars from our eyes, and then I made a map

And knew that somehow I could find my way back

Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too

So I stayed in the darkness with you” –Cosmic Love, Florence and The Machine

4

The next day Kate woke up early to look around the resort. She was very tempted to remove the yellow sundress she put on after showering that morning and swim in the ocean but she restrained herself. She wants to see what the resort has to offer first.

She went to the Reception Area and asked for a map of the resort and then she proceeded to explore. She went to the spa and made a mental note to get a massage. Then she went to inspect the pools. She saw that guests could rent equipments for paddle boarding, surfing and jet skiing.  An instructor is also available for those who want to try out water sports.

Kate signed up for wind surfing lessons which will begin at 3 P.M. She still has several hours to kill.

She sat on one of the high chairs at the bar overlooking the ocean. She ordered a watermelon fruit shake, looked around her and finally settled her gaze on the speedboat cruising at the water to her left. She didn’t feel anybody occupy the seat next to hers until a hand clamped on her arm.

She jumped on her seat and swung her head to the other side.

“Hi,” Gianni greeted her with a shy smile.

Kate immediately relaxed at the sight of the boy. “Hello. What are you doing here?” she asked.

Gianni pointed to his wet head, his light brown eyes twinkling. “I was swimming and then I saw you so I went over here.”

“I see. Where’s your dad?”

The boy shrugged. “He is taking care of something,” he answered and then saw Kate’s frown. “But I’m with my nanny! She just brought my sister to our room because she’s hungry already,” He hastened to reassure her. “She will come back for me.”

Kate nodded but she could see that Gianni is not entirely happy with the arrangement. What kind of father would leave his children with their nanny in the middle of a family vacation? The occasional dad, she thought to herself. This is very common with the kids she is teaching back at home too. Their fathers visit them once in a while and maybe take them out into the city for a movie. But after their doing their “duty,” they relinquish the children back to their mothers and let their ex-wives all the parenting.

She couldn’t help but feel sorry for the kid. She took a sip out of the fruit shake and offered it to Gianni. The boy quickly to the glass between his hands and gulped it down. Kate laughed. “Are you hungry?”

Gianni shook his head as he brushed the back of his hand over his mouth. “No, I’m just thirsty.” He replied with a quick look at the fresh fruits displayed over the bar.

“Still?” Kate asked incredulously and the boy nodded. “What do you want?”

Gianni pointed to a ripe mango and Kate ordered for him. He was happily sipping his mango smoothie when he pointed to her head. “I like your band-aid.” He said conversationally.

Kate touched a hand over her forehead and smiled. “Thanks.” She covered her bump with a Spongebob band-aid after seeing that it looked particularly nasty this morning. Cartoon bandages are one of Kate’s weaknesses.