Mind Reader (2)

Chapter 2

At 8:30 I skipped down the stairs and grabbed Abby by the hand dragging her to the front door. Every morning she whines and protests and every morning it takes about 10 minutes for me to actually get her into the car. I picked her up and opened the door to be greeted by the brisk morning air. I kept my head down as I walked to bright yellow beetle sitting outside the house. When I opened the door Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA was blaring. Abbys mood picked up as soon as she heard it

"I LOVE THIS SONG" she squealed!

I buckled her in the back seat in between Lukas and Xavier. How can a 5 year old be so obsessed with someone so lame? I smiled at the guys.

"Hey Aly" they said in unison.

"Hey Abbster!" Daisy said then turning to grin at me. "Hey Aly whats up girlfriend?".

I smiled at her than turned to the guys who had a pained expression on their faces. Miley Cyrus can do that to guys. Teasing them I started to sing along with the song

'So I put my hands up

They're playing my song,

And the butterflys fly away

Noddin' my head like yeah

Moving my hips like yeah,'

Abby and Daisy start singing with me and soon the whole car is pumping to Miley Cyrus!

When it finishes we have arrived at school and the kids in the parking lot are all staring at us. The primary school is next to the high school so I walk Abby there and kiss her goodbye before meeting up with the gang and heading inside. We ditch the guys and head to our locker. Daisy is leaning on the locker next to me when she notices the bags under my eyes

"jeez girl what happened to you?" I shrugged and got out my maths book. "Girl were you out all night?" she perked up, obviously excited now.

I smiled at her eagerness.

"Yes" I said. She just looked at me. When she saw I wasn't going to elaborate she sighed and linked her arm with mine.

"Read his mind huh? Didn't I tell you not too? You never here what you want to when you eavesdrop!" I stopped abruptly looking at her astonished.

"eavesdrop?! I don't eavesdrop! I can read their minds for Christ sake!" I started walking again.. "besides, I don't do it on purpose..it just happens when I..get carried away" I blushed and turned my head away from her view.

Daisy giggled but pulled me towards the ladies room. As we walk in, the sinks are lined up with plastic barbie's fixing their makeup. I, being shy waited by the door, ready for a quick escape. Daisy, on the other hand let go of me and pushed a tall girl with orange fake skin aside. The girl sneered at her but left, with two other oranges following her. I couldn't help but laugh. Daisy fixed her makeup and ran her fingers through her long blonde hair. She tugged at the back of her mini skirt and grinned at herself in the mirror.

When everyone left she smiled at me and ushered me forward. Another day, another round of "lets give Alissa a makeover"!. She stood behind with her hands on my shoulders. I hated mirrors, they always gave me something to complain about. Wheather it be my long black hair that never did what I asked, or the pump mascara that Daisy always put on me that made my eyes look too big for my face. We were exact opposites, me and daisy. She was a blonde, tanned, cheer leading goddess and I was a black haired, mind reading, bookworm freak! Whenever we had guys back at her house, I always first pick. Even though she denies it, I still think its because it out of pity.

"I love your hair Aly!" she whines "Why cant I have it?" she smiles and starts fixing my makeup "why do you wear such baggy clothes all the time? You have curves! Show them!" she lifts up the baggy jumper and shows the mirror my flat stomach. I squirm out of death grip and stick out my tongue. If I wanted to, I could read her and see that she was lying, but I don't feel up to invading her privacy..or crying.

"If I'm next to you, guys won't even be looking at me" I whispered heading out the door, Daisy on my heel.

"Hello, what about Xavier? He liked you for like 4 years until you turned him down! He has never liked me!" did I detect jealousy? She was right though. All through the first years of high school Xavier had a huge crush on me. When he finally asked me out, I felt really bad for him when I said no. Luckily, he stayed with us and we all became really close friends.

Him, daisy and Lukas are the only ones who know about my..uh..gift. They are all sworn to secrecy.

The bell rang then, signalling us to go to first period. I sighed. Maths. The only subject I have without Daisy, Xavier or Lukas. I headed in the opposite direction to Daisy and kept my eyes on the floor. Me, being the freak that everyone hates, is not good when it comes to walking down the hallway. If your spotted, you must find a closet, locker or classroom to hide. Freaks, nerds or gays are not excepted at Preston High. Its okay if I'm with Daisy though. Since she is uber popular, I can get by without anyone daring to touch me. If you were wondering how such a beautiful popular girl like Daisy became friends with a girl like me, its not that big of a deal. In primary school we were best friends and then when we got to high school, she was instantly popular. But she never dropped me as a friend like the other girls. The other girls being Marsha-Helen Strickland. Preston Highs IT girl. Head cheerleader, captain of the track team and president of the Preston High Dance Academy.

Marsha-Helen went to my primary school and her, me and Daisy were the best. The three Amigas! We did EVERYTHING together. Sleepovers every friday night, and shopping at the mall every saturday. But it all fell apart when I read her mind accidently and found out she cheated with my boyfriend Toby. We had been together for 2 years when it happened. It broke my heart that my boyfriend and best friend hurt me so badly. I, have sworn to never read the minds of my best friends again.

"Ms Knight?" my eyes flickered open. The room was blurry. I rubbed them and sat up.

"Ms Knight?"

The words made me freeze. I removed my hands and looked around. The whole room was staring at me. I blushed deep red and looked down at my notes. There was a large wet patch on my book. Oh my god I drooled. I hastily wiped my mouth and glared at my feet. I glanced up through my eyelashes. Mr Blake the maths teacher was standing at the front glowering at me.

"Are you done?" he seethed.

Dammit. "yes sir. Sorry sir" and I'm meant to be the straight A student?

"Next time you decide to take a nap during my class, try and keep the words in your mouth and not scream them" I SPOKE? No, I SCREAMED! Oh shit. What did I say? I looked around at all the snickering faces, looking for at least one person to compensate with. Nope. No one.

I saw Marsha-Helen whisper something to the girl next to her and they both erupted in loud annoying giggles. I closed my eyes and listened hard. Trying to pin point her high pitched voice.

"HA! take that freak! you will regret the day we met. I'm so glad me and your little boyfriend hit it off in 6th grade. Oh em gee that guy was uber hot! how did a freak like that get a guy like Toby! AH! his chizzled abs and his.."

i opened my eyes and regretted that. I always do. I let one tear escape before controlling myself.

i will not cry over Toby Jones anymore.

The bell rang loud and clear and I darted out of there so fast I felt dizzy.