Chapter Three - On the hunt.

People, I'd like to know something. Do you really like my story? Or not? I want you to be honest. I have very little reads. I'm kinda doubting everything!                                                          

 You might still think of this as confusing, but hold on! 

                                                         Chapter Three - On the hunt.

            A long walk towards the ‘unknown’ direction through a number of dinky, flaming torch-lit passageways brought me (and the diminishing crowd) to a serene location overlooking a flowing river; most likely a temple. I unrolled my handy school map and running my finger through the map, traced the route we’d taken and figured out that this area, at the farthest corner of the school premises was ‘The Point of Power.’

            Surrounded by a number of professors wearing either off-white or grey robes, Miss Leonsford stood in the center applying a thick coat of red lipstick. A hem of golden threads stitched to the robes created a patchwork effect that shone as the golden rays of the setting sun reflected off it. In short, each of them exemplified Greek Gods and Goddesses. As numerous students filed into the room and sat cross legged on the mats laid out, Joanna whispered, “They’re going to give you Seekers a task.”

             I stared at the temple, gawking in amazement and blabbering nonsense of its beauty. Strings of fairy lights hung loosely from the ceiling and the oriels had intricate carvings of the sun and moon.

          “Welcome Seekers, Keepers and the ones on their way to becoming the Blessed,” Leonsford said, aloud, “I’m obliged to see you all in The Point of Power. The rest of the professors and of course, I would like to congratulate the students of second year and third year for having faith in us and their stones.” Dyabella, popularly known as Miss Leonsford, wore an expression of pure bliss and blithe.

           One by one, the professors introduced themselves. The mythology teacher, called Professor Salterno stared conspicuously at me. He had jet black shoulder-length hair and thin lips that was a complete opposite of his highly worked out body.  I diverted my attention towards Leonsford, who now spoke again. “Like I was saying, the stones … Yes, they’ve been a faithful companion of the Pilgrims since eons.  These stones will be the first thing you have to find, all you Seekers,” she said. “Please raise your hands, will you?”

            About three dozen hands of either arm were up in the air, instantly. Leonsford counted slowly, peeking under her eyeglass and finally finished by counting mine at last. “Oh Lord!” Leonsford cried, “That makes it forty eight talented students enrolled at The Alpha And Omega of Magic, this year.” Her voice was cold and lifeless as she quickly shot me a blazing look.

           Professor Nicola, who taught ‘Stone Compliance’ – which was a rather unheard subject to me, stepped forward and said, “Tonight, all you Seekers will head to different parts of the school to find yourselves the stones. Roommates who are either Keepers or Blessed will help you on this quest. These stones aren’t simple tuffs or igneous rocks. The school is dotted with stones which keep fluctuating different colors. You keep roving around until you find one. There’s always a misconception…”

           “Enough, Nicola. Let me speak now. I hope that you haven’t forgotten the fact that I’m the seigniorial head,” Leonsford said, as she hurriedly walked towards the podium. Her words had a superfluous anger laced on them. Professor Nicola suppressed her boiling temper, and placing her stone on her palm, she began to inhale calmly.

             Leonsford explained the other rules and carefully lit a stick of sage and basil, twirled to form a braid. As she gently blew on it, the air around us diffused with its herbal scent.

                                                                                         ~*~

          The rusted hands of the clock that ticked constantly in our bedroom made the butterflies in my stomach do somersaults in joy. At twelve midnight, the dark and gloomy passageways filled with sounds of chattering and shoes clicking against the tiled stones. Joanna and I ran down the staircase, to explore the school premises and find a stone that accepted its master.

        “It’s often hard to find the right stone,” Joanna said in a tone which had close proximity to a whisper. “When you hold it in your palm, it’ll either react peacefully or violently.”

        “Wow, you do have a lot of knowledge.” I looked up at her and passed a cocky grin, as we continued to walk down the aisle.

          "No wonder, you’re so dumb!” she said, laughing at her own joke. I simply gave her a look of disgust, which too, had traces of affection.

           After hours of fruitless search, we decided to go back to the dormitory by climbing up the boy’s dorm building which had tender grapevines creeping up towards the roof. Aretino and the rest of his gang, stood still on the tarred roads at a distance of around five feet each emitting soft, warm light. The walk up the staircase, completely wore me out. At the attic, I eventually gave up and sat on the floor panting for a breath. Already surrounded by a wall of tiredness, ignoring everything around me was my preferred option until I saw a blinding flash of light that hurt my eyes.

                                                                                          ~*~

          "Joanna, over here," I said, clapping my hands to free them of dust. "I think we found it." 

          “Turn the flashlight on,” she exclaimed. A thick German accent laced her words. It didn’t even seem like it was necessary for her to take a breath between sentences. Amazingly, English was not even her first language. This meant, she could speak even faster in her native tongue. “The power of a dying bulb isn’t good enough. Where am I? In space, watching a supernova?” 

          I fidgeted, took the flashlight out and switched it on and off a couple of times. “Steady!” Joanna roared. I leaped up and stammered a partially audible yes. The flickering of the hanging bulb only made the atmosphere grimmer. As I focused the yellow beam the flashlight radiated towards the old dirt-laden mahogany chest, Joanna smirked. She pointed her finger directly over my forehead and whispered, “Well done you!” 

          The sunlight filtered through the old stained glass windows and instantly illuminated the entire attic. A mouse squeaked somewhere in the corner and the age-old pines in the garden whispered a few secrets. 

       Joanna lifted her chin up and said, “We are evil roommates, Shawna Tucker. You'll soon find yourself enlightened. Welcome to The Alpha and Omega of Magic, sweetheart.”

           The stone that I delicately placed in between my palms was nothing, but sheer beauty. Dotted with beads of glitter, it shone colors of jade green and red. A soft, yellow glow radiated and a calm breeze blew across my face. My open hair tossed around my shoulders and slid past the back of my ears. When I reopened my eyelids after a quick blink, I felt like a huge burden finally found ease.

         Joanna and I walked down the attic staircase, feeling the smoothness of the banister gently caress our palms. “All I can feel is, a monstrous amount of pride in myself,” I said, smiling meekly. She gave me a tight hug, keeping in mind that I treated the stone like a new born baby.

           “Once you go for Stone Compliance classes, you’ll love handling yours!” Joanna said, giving me a wink.

            The corridors filled with a soft hum of constant chatter, and tired faces of students; perhaps complaining about the sleepless night. Most of the girls held their stones gently, whereas the boys . . .  they already started doing all sorts of nonsense with it.