Chapter 5: Therapy 2

A Week had passed after the protest in Downtown Concord.

Apparently I was on the news and my parents had found out about it.

They weren't as mad as I thought they would be, but they were somewhat concerned.

They kept saying that i'm just a kid and that they don't understand why I'm wasting my time by involving myself with the problems in the world.

They told my therapist how concerned they were in hoping he could as they would say "heal my mind"

He promised them that it wasn't that serious because he had dealt with kids like me and has always helped them.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a good therapist, but I do believe he won't "heal my mind"...actually my mind doesn't meed healing. 

It's not corrupted, thats just what my parents think.

"So how are we doing today Chase?" he asked.

"fine"

"So um, lets talk about what happened a week ago" he said.

I shrugged my shoulders.."I guess"

"So, exactly why did you leave school grounds?" he asked.

"Because of what I saw on the news"

"Ah yes, the protest. And uh, what made you decide that you had to leave the school and go all the way downtown?" he asked.

"I-I don't know. Its hard to explain"

"Well just try" he said.

"I don't know, I just had a feeling, as if it was telling me to go there"

"A feeling?" he questioned.

I nodded my head.

"Okay. So you went downtown because of this feeling and decided to speak to the adults?" he asked.

I nodded.

He sat up in his chair and said "I want you to listen to me okay...Your young, adults don't really listen to young kids, I mean what do you think you'll accomplish by doing the things your doing"

I didn't say anything.

I didn't really expect him to understand, I mean like I said, adults don't listen to younger people.

"Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Tell me, what is your goal? Explain it to me" he asked.

"You wouldn't understand or listen to me if I told you"

He sat back and crossed his arms as he said  "Try me. Come on lets hear it"

"...I believe that one day I will break the chain of hatred between race forever. I will let and help people see that this is not why we were put on this earth. I'm to stop the violence between the police and the people, blacks and whites as well as any other race out there...thats my goal"

He was quiet for a minute, then he asked  "And you think you can just snap your fingers, say a couple of inspiring words and poof the world is fixed, especially at your age?" 

"I never said it would be easy , nor did I say it would happen at this age. It is going to be a very long process, I know that. But that doesn't mean It can't be done"

"So your going to try and attempt to accomplish this on your own?" he asked.

"Like I told the police officer in downtown, I'm not alone"

"Oh yes I remember, you said something about how God was with you" he said.

I nodded my head.

"And how exactly will God help you. You can't see him nor hear him. So how can he physically help you accomplish something thats impossible?" he asked.

Obviously he's not a huge christian and doesn't know much about God.

"You don't need to see him, to be able to hear him and he doesn't have to physically be here to help me either. As a matter of fact he's listening right now to the conversation right now"

"Oh really" he said.

I nodded my head.

"You can't hear or see him, but he's listening"

He was quiet.

"You sure have a great imagination kid. Listen if thats what you believe, there's nothing I can do. But one thing I will tell you is to give up on this goal of yours. Go out and have fun with your friends, go be a kid. Go get in trouble for staying out to late you know. Go be a kid because you won't be one forever" he said.

"Im happy with the life I have now, it's no point in changing it" 

When I looked at the time, I noticed It was time for me to go.

I had stood up.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"It's about time for me to go"

He had looked at the clock not knowing it was time.

"And no disrespect to you, but you need to go to church" 

And with that I left.