Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ana was in and out, trapped in her own private hell or trapped inside the institution Henderson had lied to get her checked back into. The nurses didn’t believe her when she was able to talk and soon Henderson made it she was so drugged she couldn’t try to tell anyone the truth.

She wondered if Henderson was giving her some drug to cause those nightmares because no matter what they wouldn’t stop and each one was worse than the last when it shouldn’t be possible anymore. She had suffered through every imaginable hell in those nightmares and knew there were times she had been screaming hard enough that she was doing it in real time. Sadly no one came to her rescue.

She was nothing more than the sickly patient who didn’t know how to cope or whatever bullshit Henderson was feeding the staff.

No matter what drugs she was given Ana hadn’t lost her hunger to fight. She refused to surrender to this place and Henderson’s plans to kill her slowly. She still believed there was a way she could get free and reveal the truth.

Her eyes opened for the first time in so long she wasn’t sure what day or month it was. The nice delusional nurse was seated by the bed knitting to pass time. She didn’t see Ana had woken yet.

“Why?” it took sadly every ounce of her strength to push that word past her lips. Her fists tightened beneath the restraints holding her down.

Nurse Thompson put down her supplies and smiled at her. “Why what dear? Why am I here?” Ana nodded. “I’ve been keeping an eye on you. Dr. Henderson says all the drugs will help you but I’ve been worried you might need another form of treatment. I shouldn’t be saying this but you look like someone I used to know and it’s been breaking my heart to hear you scream. A friend never hurts right?”

“I’m not lying.” She whispered tearfully. “I don’t belong here.”

The nurse reached out and gripped her hand. “Sweetie as soon as you accept reality the sooner you can move on to the next phase and get out of this room. You’ve been sedated to keep from hurting yourself or someone else.”

“She’ll never let me out.”

“Dr. Henderson isn’t the only doctor on staff. You only need one to think you’ve made progress and the doses will reduce. Every time you wake you lash out and get very agitated.” The nurse explained just in case Ana wasn’t aware of that and she hadn’t been. The times she was allowed to wake up because the drugs were wearing off hadn’t seemed like many that she could remember.

“I’m scared.” Ana said slowly. “It’s hell.”

“Where’ve you been is hell?”

Ana nodded. “I see it over and over and every time it gets worse. My family hates me and I’m killed over and over.” She blinked back some tears while others fell free.

“Aww sweetie no wonder you’ve been screaming so much in your sleep. I’m going to talk to Dr. Ryan and see if maybe we can let you have a little breathing room.”

“Wait.” Ana managed to stop the nurse by the door. “How long have I been here?”

“It’s going to be five weeks tomorrow. Try to relax, I’ll be back shortly.” She smiled and left the room, the door locked behind her.

Ugly sobs left Ana’s throat. Five weeks she had been locked away. That was a lot of time, time missed and everything would be different. The Cruz’s probably thought she flaked on her job and hired someone else by now. Someone that Jase didn’t think as so weird.

Jackie was most likely worried but would’ve moved on by now, laughing it up with all her friends down at the center. Zack probably managed to get the job he wanted and was too happy to remember the girl who never let him in no matter how hard he tried.

She cried for them, her heart ached and mourned the loss as if they were dead because the result was the same; she’d never see them again.

She forced herself to control her emotions and stop all her crying because Nurse Thompson returned and changed her mind about trying to help her go without being sedated for awhile. If she could gather her bearings maybe she could find a way out of this place.

She wasn’t a little kid anymore too scared to come out of the corner. She didn’t want to be there and she knew unlike back then she didn’t need to be here. These people were never going to help her live a normal life and if Henderson had it her way she wouldn’t live any life.

Nurse Thompson returned with a man wearing a white coat by her side. “Ana this is Dr. Ryan. He’s the doctor on call right now and I thought it’d be a good idea for him to check on you.” there was something behind the nurses eyes that Ana took as a warning, some message to follow.

Ana thought back to everything the nurse had told her earlier and made a guess. “Hello Dr. Ryan.” She needed to prove to him she wasn’t as damaged as Henderson had them believing.

“How are you feeling Ana?”

“Dizzy but ok.” She forced a smile and hoped she appeared innocent instead of dangerous or angry.

He checked her IV and some other of her vitals, writing on her chart as he did so. “The sedatives you’ve been on have that effect but it’ll pass the longer you are off of them. We’ve been worried you might hurt yourself if we allow you to remain conscious, you’ve shown a lot of violent signs.”

“I know.” Ana imitated guilt and apology. “I was confused with reality and my nightmares but I know now what’s real and what isn’t. Nurse Thompson has been very nice in explaining the situation to me. I know I need help and more than that I want help.” her stomach turned with each word but it’d all be worth it for this man to believe her and give her just a small chance to escape.

“I’m going to change your medications for the rest of the day but Dr. Henderson is your primary and might want something changed when she comes in tomorrow. If you continued to show this much understanding and restraint there’s no reasons she should though.”

That’s what you think. “Thank you doctor.”

He smiled and wrote some more things down into her file before stepping outside to talk to Nurse Thompson alone. She returned back into the room minutes later. “See? You did wonderful and if you keep that up you’ll be out of here in no time.”

“I’m counting on it.”