Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Ana fought to open her eyes, it felt like they were glued shut and the minimal strength she had wasn’t enough to pry them open. She tried to lift her arm in hopes of rubbing them open only to find her arms were strapped down. She cried out and tried to fight harder to gather her senses.

“You’re only going to hurt yourself if you keep that up.” Dr. Henderson said with her usual condescending chipper voice.

Dr Henderson….

Ana’s memory of the last time they spoke came rushing back to the front of her mind’s eye. Dr. Henderson was there that night, she had gathered all the money her parents had any their valuables for a quick buck while her…cousin? That’s what she called him right? She was indifferent to the ways he killed and tortured her family.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Ana managed to push the words slowly past her lips. She must’ve been drugged.

“You’re a very sick girl Ana and if I didn’t make the choice to put you back in this institution you were going to hurt someone.” Dr. Henderson was giving all the fake political correct answers.

Someone was watching or in the room with them, probably a nurse Ana thought. She wanted to scream in protest, the sick one here was Henderson but then who would believe Ana? The girl who had only been out of this loony bin six months? A heavy sense of dread filled her chest.

She’d give anything to be back home with Jackie and Zack. She had only met him weeks ago but he quickly became apart of the routine, he was in the image when she thought back to her home at the brownstone.

“You’re going to kill me.” Ana realized out loud. The good ol doc was going to use her pedigree profession to kill her slowly with drugs locked in this hell hole.

“Oh Ana no,” A new voice joined the conversation. “Dr. Henderson and the rest of the staff are only interested in getting you better.”

Ana shook her head and finally managed to get her eyes open as the hot piercing anger gave her the extra boost she needed. She stared at the woman in front of her, her profile was blurry. “She laughed when my mom cried out because even though they were pressed for time he wanted to have a little fun. That’s what he said ‘Let me have a little fun.’ Ain’t that nice? He raped her and the more she screamed the happier it made him. I couldn’t help her. I couldn’t do a damn thing.” Her head spun with the haunting evil images. “Henderson was there for the whole thing. I won’t call her doctor because that’s a lie, she’s a lie.” Ana faintly wondered how the evil bitch swung becoming a therapist.

Henderson wasn’t fazed. “See what I mean Nurse Thompson? She’s clearly had a break with reality and swears I was involved in her family’s death.”

“It wasn’t death!” Ana screamed. “It was murder! You let him do all those horrible things! You held down a little six year old girl so she wouldn’t get away.” she moaned with pain as she thought of Suzy. It had been her job to keep her sister hidden and she failed.

“Nurse Thompson, give her another five milligrams so she can rest.”

“No.” Ana shook her head and tried to ignore the wave of nausea it caused. “She’s trying to kill me.” her words fell on deaf ears as the nurse pumped new drugs into her IV. “No….” her head swam into a dark abyss.

She fell deep into the pits of whatever new hell the devil had designed for her now. When she stopped falling she was left alone with no run to run to, no warm arms and whispers telling her it’d all be ok one day.

 She saw faint images of Jackie standing happily in her kitchen talking about something she could hear. The words were aimed at her but Ana couldn’t make a move closer or say anything in return.

The image spun and she was hidden under the cabinet like when she was seven but this time it was Jackie’s kitchen. It was Jackie’s body across the floor bleeding out with her eyes opened and looking at the cabinet where Ana hid.

She cried out but no words came, not even a sound. With a heavyheart she crawled out of the cabinet and to Jackie’s lifeless body. Blood danced around the once clean floor of the kitchen. It’d never be clean again.

She was pulled away violently by her ankles before she could reach Jackie. A soundless scream erupted from her throat, the sensation leaving it raw.

She couldn’t see who was pulling her or where they were going as everything went dark again.

It felt like hours when she finally stopped and saw her next destination. It was Zack’s room and yet it wasn’t. Suzy’s things littered the floor but it was his room from the brownstone.

Her legs were freed and she was able to move. She sat up and turned around. Zack was watching her with sad eyes she normally saw looking back at her in a mirror. It was the look he’d wear if someone he loved was dead.

“How could you?” he demanded.

Her voice returned. “What?”

“She was so good to you and you killed her.” his blue eyes flamed with hatred.

“No,” she cried. “I’d never hurt Jackie.”

“You let them kill her; you sat back and did nothing just like you did with your family.” His words couldn’t hurt anymore if he physically hit her. “It’s you they want dead. We’d all be better off if they found you and finally put you out of your misery.”

Ana winced at his harshness and tried to find the words to prove him wrong but he wasn’t wrong. She did just stand by and do nothing, she hid as always. “I’m sorry.”

“You will be.” he stepped over her on the floor and reached for the door.

Two masked assailants stood on the other side with big sick smiles. “We’ve been looking for you.” the man said, his voice still as chilling and empty as she remembered.

Ana couldn’t move as they came closer, she cried for help but Zack was gone. There was no one to save her.

She tried to wake from the nightmares but there was no waking up this time. No way to avoid the torture her heart and brain were suffering through. No one to hear the heart shattering screams coming from her lunges.