The Ball

Chapter Thirty

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here we should dance.”--Unknown

The Ball

“Do help me, Cerise!” Amelie exclaimed. “Stop looking at yourself in the mirror!”

Cerise jolted back to attention and placed a hairpin in her mother’s outstretched hand. “Oh, sorry. It’s just that I’ve never worn something like this before…”

“You two are going to be the most elegant girls at that ball.” Amelie was smiling proudly as she looked at her daughter and her niece, whose hair she was styling. “You look as fine as any ladies or duchesses, princesses, even!” After the last of the hairpins were placed in Alana’s hair, the women stood in front of the mirror one final time.

Alana could hardly recognize herself. The gowns that Erik had found her and Cerise were incredible…where in the world had he found dresses like that without cost, without anyone having need of them? Hers was white with a sweetheart neckline, a full skirt, and a bodice adorned with what had to be real, tiny pearls and diamonds. Cerise’s gown was much like hers, but it had a deep ruby color that somehow went perfectly with her dark auburn curls that were piled on top of her head. Both of them had little white flower petals in their hair.

“Come on now, Snow White, Rose Red. The carriage will be coming soon!” Amelie took the two girls by the hand and led them out to the parlor, where Raimond and Andre were sitting.

Raimond rose when they entered the room, grinning warmly. “You two look wonderful!”

Andre suddenly stumbled to his feet, his eyes wide, mystified. He stared at Alana, and she immediately looked down at the floor, unable to meet his gaze. She felt guilty about not facing him; he really had been trying to make amends since the incident when he’d stolen the communion wine. He’d been doing little odd jobs at the church and the house, and taking care of the horse. Though he still had a sour demeanor often, and his temper occasionally flared up, Andre had been more stable than Alana had seen him in years. And yet, even today it was painful simply to look at him, wondering if she’d ever be able to feel safe around him again.

Amelia must have noticed the tension in the room, for she sent the men out to bring the girls’ luggage from their rooms, and departed to the kitchen, leaving Alana and Cerise alone in the parlor.

“You don’t look very excited,” Cerise said, looking eager and concerned about her cousin at the same time.

“Oh,” Alana sighed. “I am. I’m just thinking.”

“Me too. Tonight is all I can think about.” Cerise’s eyes were lively. “I can’t wait for the dancing. I hope…” her voice became wistful. “I hope the Comte de Bellamy will ask me to dance. Though I suppose that’s dreaming too far…”

“Don’t be silly,” Alana retorted. “Once Damien sees you, he’ll ask you to dance with him a hundred times over! I have a feeling something will happen between you two tonight.” She grinned.

“If he doesn’t spend all his time dancing with you,” Cerise said. Alana couldn’t tell if her cousin sounded resentful or not.

“Oh he won’t.” Alana laughed it off. “I’ll have Erik, remember?”

Cerise nodded. “I’ll finally get to meet your mystery man!”

There came a thud from behind them. Andre had set their two suitcases down and was standing with his arms crossed, looking at Alana. “What mystery man?”

Alana paled and her throat tightened as she looked away.

“He’s the gentleman who’ll be escorting us to the ball tonight,” Cerise answered.