The Flight

Watch a man in times of adversity to discover what kind of man he is; for then at last words of truth are drawn from the depths of his heart, and the mask is torn off. --Anonymous

Chapter 1

The Flight

Erik staggered through the tunnel, feeling nothing but pain. Biting, piercing, exploding pain. His body was whole, but his heart was in pieces. His eyes were so full of tears he could barely see, but he could hear. He heard the shouts of the mob that had found his lair…the police, soldiers, actors and workers at the opera house, and enraged citizens who’d come to the opera that night, witnessed all hell break loose, and were determined to help finally end the terror that’d gripped the Opera Populaire and all who were involved with it. As he ran through the passageway, blinded by tears and darkness, feeling his way along the cold stone walls with his hands, the sounds of shouting gradually faded. By now they must have found his home, and were probably destroying it looking for him. Home. How could he even call it that? Homes were places you shared with people you loved and who loved you. At home, you could be safe. Happy. You were never alone. But he was always alone. No, he had never had a home. And he never would. Images flashed through his mind of all the things he’d collected being destroyed as the mob searched for him--his treasures broken, his sheet music ripped and tossed on the floor, trampled by muddy boots. He was stricken with feelings of loss, but his possessions were no longer so precious to him. How could they be, when his greatest treasure of all was gone?

Erik stopped, too grieved to run any more. He collapsed onto the damp stone floor and wept uncontrollably, his tears mixing with the water that dripped steadily from the ceiling and became a small stream throughout the passageway. Like a river of tears. He didn’t know how long he lay there, but at some point, he found himself getting up and feeling his way through the tunnel again.

But why am I even running? he thought. Why don’t I just surrender myself to them? What do I have to live for now?

Nothing. He had nothing to live for. But he was afraid. More than anything, he wanted the pain that had haunted him for so long to die. But there was only one way for that to happen, and he was afraid. The thought of dying terrified him--he knew what would await him after death.

Fire.

He felt a new wave of grief wash over him as the tears streamed down his face. He stopped again and closed his eyes, weeping. He wept for himself. For her. For the people he’d hurt. For everything.

Suddenly he felt something soft rub against his face. He opened his eyes and blinked away the tears clouding his vision. He was leaning against the wall in the tunnel, which was dimly lit, but enough to see his horse standing beside him. Raven. Black as his despair. Erik had kept her down in the tunnels all her life. Her makeshift stable, which was really just a cavern chamber with its floor covered with hay and straw, was not far ahead, and was lit by many candles and wall torches that cast enough light into the tunnel for him to see a little. Raven was his only friend, the only one who could look at him without fear, love him in spite of the terrible things he’d done. He stroked her nose, then put his arms around her and buried his face in her neck, letting his tears soak into her mane.

He wasn’t sure how long he stayed like that, but when he heard shouts down the corridor, he used every ounce of will he had to pull himself together. The mob had found the mirror--broken, now--but they would never find him. He walked quickly to the stable, taking Raven’s saddle and bridle and putting them on her as fast as he could. The sound of men’s voices grew louder. Erik glanced over his shoulder and saw the light of torches a ways off. He jumped on Raven’s back and as if she could read his mind, the horse immediately charged into a full gallop. The sound of hoof beats now echoed through the tunnels, and Erik knew the mob would hear them, but that was no matter. The men would never catch them--they didn’t know the catacombs like he and Raven did. If they continued after him, they would be lost forever in the darkness.