14: Stolen Kisses

Although the thought had crossed my mind, I was still struggling to realize that I was standing at the foot of Roy's mom's bed. All this time he had hidden something this big from me. I liked to assume that at one point we had been good friends. Which makes me wonder who all he actually has told about this. Do even his closet friends not know?

Even with these thoughts scrambling through my mind, I still managed a bright smile that felt real enough on my face as I walked closer to the mother of the guy standing next to me.

"Hi, Mrs. Garrett. It's a pleasure to meet you,"I offered my hand and watched as she raised her stick thin arm up to take it. Surprisingly, her grip was very strong for someone who looked so weak.

"Oh, please. I haven't been maried in quite awhile and Ms. Garrett is my mother. Call me Andria,"she said in a beautiful sing song voice that made me want to keep her talking just so that I could listen to it some more.

"Okay, Andria."

Roy took this opportunity of silence to walk forward and embrace his mother in a gentle hug. Andria gave a quite laugh and hugged her son as close to her as he could get.

"How you doing, Ma?"he asked softly as he pulled away and sat at the chair conveniently placed beside the bed.

I continued to remain awkwardly standing, not really sure what to do with myself, but not wanting to interrupt the mother-son moment that was happening in front of me. It really was quite sweet as Roy held one of her hands in between his two larger ones and looked her in the eye like he wanted to take away all of her pain. It was so obvious how deeply he cared for his mom and it almost brought tears to my eyes. Damn, why does this boy have to keep adding to the reasons why I should forgive him and forget everything?

I was broken out of my reverie when Andria answered him,"Oh, just fine. Don't worry about me."

Roy let out a sigh,"How can I not worry about you?"

"Just know that everything is going to be just fine. Know just drop this silly sentimental talk and tell me how you met this beautiful girl who you left standing awkwardly there,"she motioned towards me and Roy looked over as if he had completely forgotten that I was even there.

"I'm Danielle. Danielle Thompkins,"I stated, becoming aware that I hadn't properly introduced myself yet.

"Oh, my!"Adria's eyes widened,"You're the girl that Royce has been talking about nonstop!"

I choked on a laugh as I looked bewildered at Roy,"Royce?"

For the first time ever, I watched amazed as Roy's cheeks tinted pink and he avoided my gaze,"Awww! Is someone embarrassed?"

His mother and I broke down in giggles as he shot menacing looks at both of us, willing us to shut up and forget about it.

I turned to his mother, desperate to find out more,"What's his middle name?"

She opened her mouth, but was cut off when Roy looked at her pleadingly,"Mom, you wouldn't dare. You promised we would never tell anyone."

"Well, I think that this beautiful girl that you seem so taken with deserves to know,"she turned towards me with a mischievous smile on her face,"His middle name is Wilfred. Royce Wilfred Garrett."

I snickered,"Is it just me, or do you have three first names Royce?"

"Okay. What's your middle name? It has to be at least a little embarrassing. I mean, no one has a perfect name,"he defended, waiting not so patiently for me to answer.

I gave him a toothy grin,"Danielle Elizabeth Thompkins."

He sighed and looked at me with envy,"Lucky. Obviously your parents had some sense in their brains when they decided to give you a name that you have to live with for the rest of your life."