3: Stolen Kisses

Vocals went by quick and soon I found myself wandering around campus, wondering what to do with my life. I wasn't expected to be at the garage for practice until five and it was only 3:30. Classes were over by now, leaving the campus eerily empty. I started to walk towards my car, planning on just showing up to practice early.

The drive didn't take long, the silence driven away by music constantly blaring out of my speakers. With the windows rolled down and the wind whipping my hair, I had this sense of freedom. Like things were finally going right.

Parking on the curb next to the garage that we rent for our practices, I got out of the car and brought my acoustic from the back seat along with me. I fumbled with the stupid key for a minute, before finally jamming it in the lock and twisting. I gave a huff as I searched the wall for the light switch, since I couldn't see a foot in front of my face. Eventually the light got turned on and I was able to sit my acoustic next to my electric that I had left here the last practice.

I went ahead and set up all of the instruments so that we would be ready to go as soon as they got here. Not really knowing what else to do, I pulled my acoustic onto my lap and strummed random cords. My eyes caught sight of a piece of paper sitting on the side table and I curiously picked it up.

I rolled my eyes when I found myself staring at our supposed 'set list' whcih at the time only consisted of two songs. Bringing out a pencil from my abandoned school bag, I began to brainstorm on the paper, crossing out or drawing arrows on occasion. When I was finally satisfied with my work, I placed the paper back where I found it and my pencil back in my bag.

My phone buzzed beside me, startling me from my relaxed position. I bent over and picked it up from the ground where it had fallen and curiuosly looked at the screen. A small smile appeared on my lips when I saw my mom's name appear at the top of the screen. Quickly unlocking my phone, I went to my messages and clicked on the latest one. It read:

Mom: Hey honey! Do you plan on coming home this weekend?

I thought about it for a moment, but then I remembered the gig.

Me: Sorry mom. I got a gig. Maybe another time. Soon, I promise :)

Mom: Okay honey. Stay in touch. <3 you!

Me: K. Love you too <3

The conversation lasted only a minute before I closed out of my messages and checked the time at the top. 4:50. They should be here any minute.

It just so happened I was right. Right in the middle of my random strumming, the door swung open and voices filled the room. Paige and Jace continued with their random conversation, but their voices faded when they noticed me.

"Hey,"Jace greeted,"How long you been here?"

" 'Bout an hour and twenty minutes,"I mumbled, my fingers not leaving the strings of the guitar still placed in my lap.

Paige gave me a weird look,"So you just sat here the whole time?"

I rolled my eyes at her,"No. I finished that empty paper that you call a set list. Wanna look at it?"

Nodding, she picked the paper up off of the table. After here eyes roamed over it, she looked back up with a smile,"Looks good to me."

Then she handed it to Jace, who read it over,"Me, too. This list should last us about two hours. If we do run out, we could just improv."

I shrugged and nodded along, finally getting up to stretch my legs. I walked over to my electric guitar that I had set up beside my microphone stand, the other two following suit.