Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The steady beeps on the monitor filled my eardrums as I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. I could tell it was bright inside of my room before I ever opened my eyes. I opened my eyes to confirm the brightness. The curtains were open, letting in fresh sunlight. The sky was blue, clouds scattered from my view. The blue sky could give hope that today would be a lucky day, but for me I wasn't so hopeful.

I looked away and changed my gaze over to my body, study how I was bandaged. Most of the casts had been removed, though I was very sore. I remember EJ telling me what all I had broken and sprained but it had been so long I couldn't recall.

EJ.

My eyes widened with joy as I pushed through the pain to prop myself up in bed. "EJ," I called out to an empty room. "Babe, are you here?" The room was silent for a couple minutes so that's when I looked out the glass windows to see some nurses sitting at a desk typing away. I furrowed my brows and tried getting their attention since my door wasn't open. One small lady noticed my waving and quickly came while getting some others to join her. Once they rushed through the door they started asking me all types of questions while telling them to call my doctor in.

"Guys please, I just want my father and my boyfriend." They seemed to ignore me and continue to poke and prod my with their instruments until my doctor came strolling in. He told them to hush up and then he walked up to me and asked how I was. "I'm fine. I feel fine. Where's my father? My boyfriend?" The doctor huffed shortly as he ordered one of the nurses to give him their cell phone. He handed it to me and told me to dial one of their numbers, said it was a memory test. Usually memory tests are simple like what's the year? What's your name? Where were you born? But no, I got told to dial my fathers number.

I took the phone carefully and dialed the number to the best of my memory. It rang and rang and rang until finally I heard a voice. "Hello? Who is this? How did you get this number?" It was Matthew, I could tell.

"Matty? Is that you?" Silence. "Matty, it's me, Darcy. I'm awake." If hospitals had crickets I'm sure I could hear them. "Matt, please go get dad. Tell h-"

"Darcy, is this really you? Are you really awake?" The voice had changed, it was deeper. Way deeper. Dad.

"Daddy," I questioned. "Is. . .is that you?" I could hear someone let a breath go and soft sobs escape the lips. "Daddy, I'm alive. I'm awake, I'm okay."

"Baby, it's so good to hear that voice. I thought I lost you."

"No, daddy. I'm here. Please, come to the hospital." He agreed and before he hung up I told him something he hasn't heard for a long time, I just wonder how long. "I love you."

After that conversation was over I dialed EJ's number and heard it ring 3 times before someone picked up.

"Hello, this is EJ Adams, how may I help you?" His voice sounded so. . .empty. Like it was bland and missing life. "Hello?" I couldn't find words to say, what do you say to someone you're in a relationship with after they thought you were dead? "If this is another damn scammer, screw o-"

"Baby," I said softly, trying to keep myself together. "Baby, it's me. It's Darcy. I'm awake." I could feel he didn't know how to respond. "I was told to call you, it's for a memory test. I guess I passed since I dialed your number correctly." EJ didn't say anything. Could he not know how to answer? Or has he moved on by now? "EJ. . .please say something. Let me know you're still there."

"I ca. . . Is it really you? Are you really alive?" EJ sounded like he was in a state of confusion, hope shining through softly. "Darcy, or who ever you are, please don't fool me. Please let this be real."