Chapter 5

Chapter 5

It had been at least a week and a half since EJ agreed to help and every day since we met no new information has came up. Not even a facial recognition. Of course I had seen him since then, and yes I had asked if anything has come up but it was the same sad look and response every time. Hopefully today that will all change. Hopefully we have a new lead. It seems sad to say this, but now I think I know how dad felt. The discourage comes in spells whenever I'm told that there isn't any new information.

Today fells different. I feel like something is going to happen, or maybe that's just my body telling me that it's my birthday. Who knows. I know nothing is going to happen because usually  nothing ever happens on our birthdays. Nothing big, anyway. Usually it's just dad giving us money or its one of our Uncle's coming for a visit. It's a nice surprise, but it doesn't really change anything. It just gives us an escape.

James walked into our joint room and opened the closet door. My eyes followed him curiously. He grabbed a blue flannel and a pair of his jeans. "May I help you with something?" I raised my eyebrows at him and noticed he was glaring at me. Shaking my head, my eyes went back to my phone just as it vibrated. "Who is that? You're new flavor of the week?" I rolled my eyes and opened my message app. It was from Liam, again.

Darcy, you've not texted me back in almost two weeks.

You're right, I commented in my mind.

Please don't ignore me anymore. Okay, I was drunk I'll admit that but please, I would never use you.

I shook my head and set my phone face down. Liam is the last thing I need on my mind right now. "No, it isn't my new 'flavour' of the week. I don't have any 'flavour'. I'm single, and I'm happy to be." I put quotation marks around flavour every time I spoke them, showing James that it irritated me. All he could do to respond was laugh. "What about you, huh? You've been sneaking out this entire past week and a half. You're lucky I've been covering your hide."

"Dad noticed?!" I nodded my head. "Shit!"

I glared at him, "Language, James."

"Oh bite me. We both know you say worse."

"Not in this house. Dad would kill you if he heard you talking that way." He rolled his eyes and gave me the finger. "You're lucky I love you, no matter what you've told me. I don't want to know where you're about to sneak out to. The less I know the better. So for now, I'll continue to watch your ass, knowing you won't watch mine if I ever decided to sneak out. Tell your weekly toy that I say hi." James glared at me intensely as he stripped down to his compression shorts and dressed himself in the clothes he got out of our joint closet. His phone started ringing and he picked it up.

"I'll be down in a second. I have to get my shoes on." With that he hung up and tied his shoes and left. Once again I was alone in my joint room. What was I going to tell dad? James has never missed his birthday. Maybe he forgot. Who knows.

"Darcy, will you come down here for a minute," Niall yelled from downstairs. Niall was here? I smiled a huge teeth showing smile, grabbed my phone, and was off. When I got downstairs Niall, Lou, Shaun, Matt, and Dad were standing there with big smiles on their faces. They were all dressed up nicely and I was here with my hair in a messy bun, reading glasses on, one of my dads oversized t-shirts on with a pair of James' pajama pants on.

I stood there kind of shocked, hoping people would over look my messy appearance. "Oh wow, I wish I knew this was a formal occasion, I would've cleaned up more." Everyone kind of laughed and I managed a smile. Uncle Shaun walked towards me first with his arms wide open and I gladly welcomed his embrace. "It's so nice to see you! It's been too long!"