Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Breathe in, hold, breathe out, hold.

Just take nice, even, slow breaths. Everything will be okay. Everything is okay.

Breathe in, hold, breathe out, hold.

Breathe in, hold, breathe out hold.

"Darcy?" James stood in front of me waving his hand. "Hello? Is anyone home?" I heard his words, but I was too focused to answer. "Darcy, you're really starting to freak me out with this whole staring off into space thing." James straightened up and walked to the fridge as I snapped out of my trance. "What's gotten into you? You've been like this since. . ."

"Our birthday," I finished, shocking James. "I know it was a couple days ago, don't need to remind me." James huffed slightly and set the bottle of orange juice down in front of us.

"Thank you," he whispered. Our eyes met for a split second before he continued. "For covering for me. . .on our birthday."

I shook my head, angered that he would miss the one day that Dad had a good time. "I told Uncle Lou." James' eyes darted up at me like they were about to kill me. "He suspected something was up. I told him you went shopping but he didn't buy it. I had to tell him, James. And let me just say, you missed a great birthday party. Dad was actually happy and smiling and having a good time."

James laughed slightly, "Yeah because I wasn't there."

"Now Ja-"

"It's true, Darcy. Ever since mum. . .died, he's only allowed one person to get close to him. It's been you. He only wants you, Darce. Only you." I couldn't bare to keep eye contact with him because I know it was true. "I can't even help him. I can't take care of him. He only wants you."

I released a short breath and stood up. My feet carried me over to the kitchen counter that had the drawer right underneath it where I kept his envelope Dad had made for our birthday. We both got an envelope filled with pictures, and he hadn't gotten his yet. "Here." I handed him the white envelope sharply. "It was Dad's gift. I opened mine when I got it." James looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "Take it," I ordered as I shook the package toward him.

He bit his lip as he took it and sat down. I heard him rip open the fold as I reached in the dish drainer and got him a glass for his orange juice. As I took a seat next to him I opened the orange beverage and poured some into his glass and scooted it in front of him. James flipped through the pictures and I could tell he was trying to hold back his tears. "Dad. . ." He looked up at me and I could tell he was crying. "He made these for us?" I nodded my head and rubbed his back softly. "Oh my God," He choked out as he starting crying softly.

I stood up and wrapped my arms around him and let him lean into me. "He even hung that picture of us up." I pointed to the picture hanging up by the archway into the living room. He laughed slightly and shook his head. James gave me a quick hug and took his pictures and his orange juice and walked off. He told me he wanted to go look at the pictures in our room, so I figured I would let him. I on the other hand had nothing to do until Dad walked through the door. "Daddy," I asked as he looked up at me. "Let me take some of those from you." He came in carrying a lot of bags, I'm assuming from the local supermarket.