Chapter 19

We'd got rid of our cases and walked up the stairs, with every step I took, I got more and more nervous about somebody noticing my eyes.

We had to do something about them, but the only thing I could think of was coloured contacts. I don't know, maybe that could work?

"Contacts!" I said, without even explaining what I was talking about, I was so inside of my own thoughts that I didn't even realise I was speaking out loud.

"What?" Tamra turned to me, a confused look on her face.

"Coloured contacts, we can use them so people can't see our eyes," I said.

"Thats not a bad idea actually, I hadn't thought about it."

I knew she hadn't , she was as dumb as shit. She always came out with the most stupid questions and everyone would look at her, she'd be oblivious to the fact that her question had the most obvious answer, but no one said anything. Probably because they were scared of her, afraid of losing her as a friend or by being hurt by something she said. I was never afraid of her, I had nothing to be afraid of, she was just a teenage girl, the same age as me, I could fight my own battles when it came to her, she couldn't make me feel small like she could to others, I think that's what she struggled with the most, when I didn't react to her comments and things she said. Obviously I'd be upset, but I wouldn't cower away from her and worry about things she'd say to me, because I knew that anything she made up about me, I knew wasn't true, and as I long as I knew it wasn't true then I was ok, and anyone who believed her, clearly wasn't a true friend. She wasn't a true friend either, by trying to make her best friend feel like shit. Anyone that does that to their "best friend", needs a kick up the ass.

We walked into Walgreen's, looking around for coloured contact lenses, turned out that they were behind the counter, which meant I had to speak to the woman at the desk, fab, more eye contact.

I went up to the desk, holding on to the edge of it with my fingers as the woman sorted a few things at the back.

"Hi, please can I get some coloured contact lenses?" I asked her, she'd obviously noticed the colour of my eyes.

"Sure, which colour?" She asked politely.

"Um, blue please," going for my usual eye colour.

"Sure," she said, turning around, scanning the shelves until she found them at the bottom.

She handed me the box and I gave her the money.

"You wear these a lot?" She asked when handing me my change back.

"Not really," I said honestly, not realising that she was referring to my eyes.

"Oh, well I like those red ones," she said smiling. Well at least she wasn't freaked out by them, more fascinated.

"Oh," I said, not knowing what else to say, "thanks," i smiled back at her, taking the box off the counter and putting the change in my pocket.

"Got them," I said to Tamra, who was waiting patiently outside of the shop for me, not wanting to freak everyone out by seeing a pair of teenage girls with blood red eyes walking around an airport.

"Great," she said, taking the box off me and putting it in her hand luggage, "let's go find you a new phone."

I loved the way she just spent money on anything and everything but didn't really realise how much she was spending. This just added to her stupidity, the list of stuff she didn't know and couldn't do could fill a book, no, a lot of books.

She lead the way to the shop and headed straight for the phones.

"Which do you want?" She said, scanning them all with her eyes.