Plane Ride to Nowhere

Chapter 14

The Helicopter had us at the airport in a few minutes. It probably would have been faster to run, but I had a feeling the Michael had human appearance to keep up.  There we met our pilot, a vampire by the name of Whitmore. His hair was whiter than his skin, and a beard of the same color wrapped around his face. Eyes were the purple that comes from blue contacts hiding red, blood fed eyes.  

“Good morning Mrs. Mercy.” He told me nodding his head slightly and holding his hand out for me to shake.

I smiled back at him, “Good morning.”

“We should be taking off in the next twenty minutes, and then we will be arriving in Italy by noon.”

Michael stepped in front of me, placing my hand in the crook of his arm and walking us up into the plane. “Sounds great Whitmore. Can you make sure that Amerce knows that I will be in need of the one-77 while visiting the Voutori?”

“Of course sir.”

Corin, who had been following silently behind us for the journey, spoke up now, “Who is Amerce?”

We stepped up into the main cabin of the plane. Michael turned around to face Corin, “She is my personal secretary. She makes sure that everything that I need is there when I need it weather I’m right next to her or half way around the world.”

“Is she a vampire? Or do you have a human doing you biding?”

“She’s a vampire. I found her outside of Dublin. She was like your grandfather, Mercy. She had no desire to kill a human. She hadn’t fed in weeks. I still don’t understand how she did it, being so close to that many humans, but alas I was willing to teacher the ways to curb the hunger. She has been by my side sense.”

Corin stayed silent, but I was curious about this woman that played such a large part in his life, “Will I get to meet her?”

“If you would like to I’m sure that she would love to meet you.”

I smiled back at him as he smiled at me, “Do you want to see where everything is?”

“Sure.” He took my hand again and led me through the main cabin towards a back hallway.

The main seating area was not cup up into classic commercial flight rows like the Volturi’s plane was. Instead it was set up like a normal living room. With a large, brown leather couch on the left side and two matching lounge chairs adjacent. Towards the front of the room there was a massive TV that Michael said was hooked up to satellite.

We moved back through a door way there were two doors, one to the right and the other directly in front of us. The door to the left was to a bathroom complete with a tiled shower and towel warming racks. The other door opened up to a massive bedroom, well massive for a plane. There was a king sized bed with a cream comforter. There were wooden bedside tables on both sides of the bed, each one holding a modern lamp.

“What do you do that allows you to afford all of this?” I asked him hoping that it wasn’t too invasive of a question. 

“I have invested well. And I was owned part of the Virginia Company which started to settle America. I later created a weapons and technology company called Jamestown Weapons which has done really well.”

“So did you live at Jamestown?”

“No I was at Roanoke for a while, but left for England before disaster hit. I stayed there until after the revolution was over.”

“Did you enjoy England?”

“Yes. I feel that of all of the places that I have lived, England was the most like home. Seeing the sun rise up over the foggy mores is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in this world.” He had a great longing that sounded in his voice and reflected in his eyes. I could tell that he was missing his home, and suddenly the only thing that I could think about was making that longing disappear.

I took his and held it in mine, giving it a solid squeeze, “You will have to take me once we get this whole Voutori thing fixed. I’d love to see it.”

He took my other hand in his, a large smile spreading across his face, his eyes twinkling. He brought my hands up to his face and kissed their backs softly with a sweetness only seen in old couples.

“I am so glad that the heavens have blessed me with you. I cannot fathom not having found you. How I went all this time without you is lost on me.” He sighed.

It seemed slightly strange to me that was so emotionally attached in such a small amount of knowing me and I knowing him. I did feel that connection that we shared, the one that told me that being with him was righter than anything I had ever done in my life, but Michael seemed to be feeling these things on a whole different level that I was.

“That’s where we’ll go for our first date. I have a house keeper in my home in England who makes the best breakfast that you have ever consumed. What do you think about having a meal watching the sun rise over the mores?”

I smiled at him, nodding. It sounded better than I could have imagined.

“Good, speaking of food are you hungry now? We can do out to the main cabin and eat if you like. The plane should be leaving soon.” He was also smiling now at my acceptance of his proposal.

He dropped on of my hands and pilled] me through the hallway. I laughed at his urgency to get us into the main cabin to feed me.

“Slow down boy,” I laughed, “The food’s not going anywhere.”

“I’m not about to let any girl go hungry on my watch.” He smiled at me sweetly.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

We both had massive smiled on our faces as we walked into the front of the cabin. The door had been sealed, and Whitmore was making his way into the pilot’s cabin. Corin was sitting on the couch flicking through channels on the television. He looked up at us for a moment, but quickly returned his attention to the TV.

Michael reached under the TV and opened the door to a small fridge, pulling out a few Tupperware containers of food.

“So what did you make for me?”