Chapter 6.

6.
Towards the end of January, Oliver becomes a regular at James and Amy’s flat. It helps matters that he lives only a short train ride away and ever since he got back from Ireland, he had started to frequent the spacious living area more and more.

Both James and Amy know that something has happened over the Christmas period, but neither want to mention it, so nobody says anything and life goes on as usual. What they don’t know, is that Oliver had come straight from the airport to their flat, so desperate for company after his disastrous argument with his father, that he had completely eschewed the idea of going back to his own empty flat. It wasn’t that he disliked the apartment; it just felt… lonely. He doesn’t want to admit it, but yes, the feeling of emptiness is definitely down to being lonely.

Because of this, it is no surprise to anyone when he turns up at Amy and James’s flat one Friday evening. Becca is already there and the four friends break open the drinks and order in dinner, enjoying each others company.

As the night draws on, the weather outside the windows becomes less and less desirable. The cold January air would whips at the windows, rattling the glass in their frames. Just as icy cold rain begins to fall from the sky, Amy stirs from where she is lying on the sofa. She is leaning on James who sits to her left, with Becca on his other side and Oliver who has placed himself on Amy’s right. Becca and James are talking quietly, laughing every now and again and it makes Amy smile to see her two friends getting on so easily. Things hadn’t always been like that for Becca and James- Amy can’t help but smile as she remembers how Becca used to harbour a secret love for the older boy back in their school days, and how James wouldn’t even give her the time of day. It’s funny, how things change, she thinks.

Oliver is sat leaning on the arm of the sofa reading a newspaper, looking rather calm. The four friends are cosy and close under James’s enormous king-sized duvet and a film is playing out from the television, but nobody is paying it much attention, all too dozy and full of food to notice. Oliver looks down as he feels Amy move next to him and grins at her when he realises she has woken. He gently folds the newspaper, so careful not to crease it anymore than necessary before swivelling round to place it on the armrest behind his head. He shifts slightly to allow her room to sit up and stretch her arms above her head. She smiles at Oliver and he is about to open his mouth to reply, when James cuts across him.

“Hey sleepy head,” he says softly, placing his hand gently on her back. Amy’s voice sounds slightly husky as she tries to shake off the last traces of sleep.

“Hiya Jamie. Are you guys okay?”

“Yes, we’re good!” Becca and Oliver both say in unison, before leaning forward to laugh at each other.

“Urgh, I could murder for a cup of tea,” Amy says, her voice muffled as she digs the heels of her hands into her eyes. Oliver pulls himself up off the sofa and the duvet falls from his lap,

“Earl Grey right? Lots of milk and two sugars?” he asks with a reassuring smile, leaving Amy to stumble over her words, feeling horrifically guilty for making Oliver get up from his seemingly comfy position.

“Oh no wait, Ollie! I didn’t mean-”

Oliver turns around and shakes his head.

“No, no it’s okay, I don’t mind. Kitchen’s just through here anyway, and I might as well make myself useful.”

James removes his arm off the back of the sofa and reaches for the remote. He switches of the television and turns his head awkwardly to look at Oliver who is standing just behind the breakfast bar.

“Oh Olls, if you’re boiling the kettle can you do me a coffee mate?” Amy turns and gives James a glare.

“For Godssake, he isn’t a servant James,” she says crossly, kicking the duvet off her legs, getting up as quickly as she can so she is able to help Oliver with the tea. As Oliver pours water into the kettle, Amy reaches up to get the mugs from the cupboard. She can only reach three of them- the rest of them have been placed towards the back of the cabinet. She makes a noise of frustration and is about to shout at James for pushing them so far back when Oliver appears behind her. He stands close, too close, but neither of them think to move away, so they stay there- his chest pressed flush against her back, his hand coming to rest on the counter top by her waist as he extends a long arm to reach the mugs the she can not. The close proximity makes Oliver nervous in a not entirely unpleasant way and he feels as though he will do something stupid like drop the mugs or spill the water, but the moment passes when she turns in front of him and he presses the mug into her hands.