The Fourth Side of the Triangle

1.

She sits with her head resting in her hands, elbows either side of the keyboard in front of her. The office is quiet, save for the drip of the faulty coffee machine in the corner of the room and the murmured conversations she can hear through the closed door. Occasionally she hears footsteps passing quickly by as people hurry down the corridors, anxious to get on with the last tasks of the day or keen to get home. The majority of people have gone home now; she is the last one left; sitting in the deserted office, notes cluttering the desk. She is grateful for the silence after a long day of lectures and shadowing, both things vital in the slow journey she is taking in becoming a doctor. Now, she can concentrate on her breathing in a vain attempt to stop the headache that is growing somewhere behind her right eye.

Just as she feels the pain slowly ebbing away, a shrill ringing noise splits through the peaceful atmosphere of the room. The girl curses and leans down to fish the offending item out of her worn handbag.

“Yes?” she says, somewhat harshly into the speaker.

“I’m bored and I’m waiting in that disgusting cafe opposite the hospital,” comes a familiar voice from the other end of the phone, impatient and ever demanding, “would you like to come and meet me because if one more revolting old man tries to make some kind of inappropriate comment or obscene gesture, I swear to God I’m going to blame you.” It isn’t a question she is allowed to refuse- the tone of voice that her friend is using holds no capacity for a negative answer.

“I don’t know... I’m tired. It’s been a long day and I’ve seen some horrific things and I still need to finish-”

Rebecca.” Says the voice, “that is your own fault for wanting to become a Doctor. Now can you please come and meet me outside.”

Rebecca sighs heavily and looks up at the clock that hangs above the door.

“Amy...”

“Becca, you work too much,” Amy says matter-of-factly, “come and meet me.” Becca doesn’t miss the unspoken, ‘now.’

And that’s how she finds herself trudging across the main road, hands shoved into the deep pockets of her coat and head bowed against the wind.

She spots her friend almost immediately, sitting at their regular table towards the back of the cafe, a drink in front of her which she doesn’t appear to be drinking.

“Tea not up to your standards then?” Becca calls out as she approaches the table and Amy makes a face.

“Oh please, I was simply waiting for you to arrive. There are these things that are normally quite respected in society, they’re called manners.” Amy kicks out the chair opposite and gestures for Becca to sit down.

“Very funny,” Becca says, before sinking into the chair.

“I ordered you a coffee,” Amy says offhandedly, “thought you could do with the caffeine.” She pushes a second mug across the table and Becca takes it gratefully.

“Thanks,” she says, “You know, I- Amy, what are you wearing?”

Amy smirks as Becca’s eyes widen comically.

“I went shopping before I came to meet you.”

She is wearing a short black dress, delicately decorated with tiny sequins around the collar. Becca only has to look at it once to know that it must have cost a lot of money; it is subtle, but there is something about it that just screams expense.

This isn’t the first time she can’t help but marvel at how different their lives are.

Rebecca; working ungodly hours just so she can achieve a job she isn’t 100% sure she actually wants, living on next to no sleep and with a two bedroom flat 5 minutes away from the hospital. The flat isn’t too bad, but the work physically hurts.