Chapter One: Awaken

It all started on July 25th, 2008. I was only three and I started seeing people. They looked most unrealistic. Ghostly even. I mainly saw them near midnight. I thought they were talking to me. Little by little, year by year, I started seeing them more often, I began to hear them talking in sentences at the age of five.

They stopped talking to me until my 11th birthday. Which was just a few months ago. The first person that came out of hiding was strange. I soon realized, that it wasn't a person, but more like a wolf. A big one too. Suddenly a thought popped into my head; "Could it talk?"

"Hello," the strange wolf rumbled.

"H~hi," I squeaked nervously, "h~how can you talk?"

"How can I talk?" The strange wolf repeated my question, "Well that is easy, I am your protector. My name is Havoc, and you possess a very rare power that can only be controlled with proper training."

"O~oh" I stuttered, "W~what is this p~power that I possess?"

"I don't know what power you possess but, your power can and will devour you if you don't take control of it." Havoc lied straight through his teeth, "You're going into 6th grade, Emily. I've spoken with your parents, it's time you go to the school of magic, Dakworths."

"How do you know me and my parents? Why do I have to leave here to go to a school called Dakworths!" I yelped.

"Calm down Emily, I've been by your side since you were three, and your parents are masters at Dakworths." added Havoc.

"WHAT?" I screamed at the top of my lungs, "WHY HAVEN'T THEY EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THIS?!?"

"It's to keep you safe until you were old enough to go to Dakworths." Havoc replied causally, "You're also going to go and take a series of tests at the school."

I sat on my bed, stunned, thinking about whether I should run away or go with Havoc. Thinking that a regular person who has seen what I just saw would never miss this "once in a life opportunity," I started to pack my clothes in a duffel bag and then started to pack food from the fridge, when suddenly Havoc said,

"You won't be needing any food Emily, the masters at Dakworths will feed you."

I just ignored him and continued to pack all the possessions I thought I needed. I packed my favorite book series, MagisteRium by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. I don't know what I would do without this series. I might have read them at least 10 times, but I still love them and don't think I will get sick of them. I packed my other book series, The Famous Five. I can't wait to read them again. I finally made up my mind, I'm running away. I can't tell Havoc his heart would be broken, he said he was by my side from age three. I don't want to break his heart, so maybe I'll talk to my parents and see if I can keep him. I mean he does look ghostly now, but I think he can transform, right? I also don't want to break my parents' heart since they are masters at the Dakworths.

And as if he was reading my thoughts, he ominously breathed,

"You can't run away Emily, you need this training."

And the words kept echoing in my mind.