Chapter Twenty-Four: The Beginning

If he could just make Morderd listen – he had already lost more than half of his men – maybe he could stop the war without any more bloodshed.

And if he couldn't, he could delay clashing again until Lancelot answered Gwaine's call.

Arthur based along his tent, waiting until word came Morderd was near. Finally, it came.

"Sire." Sir Lucan stepped into the tent, his armour on and sword strapped by his side. "Morderd has requested he speak to you. He wishes to speak with you in the no mans land, with no more than fourteen men."

Arthur nodded, turning to face the knight.

"Thank you. I shall leave presently," he said. Sir Lucan bowed, leaving the tent and Arthur.

It wasn't long until Arthur faced his son, standing on the fields of Camlann, his army behind him, Morderd's men before him.

"Hello, my king," Morderd said, dropping a mock bow.

"Greetings, Morderd," Arthur said. "I am here to parley with you. I will leave you alive if you leave England and never return."

"But why would I want to do that?" Morderd asked, raising an eyebrow and resting his hand on his sword hilt. The men around Arthur tensed and the king raised a hand to still them before answering Morderd.

"You have already lost many men in this insane quest for power – how many more are you willing to sacrifice before you are satisfied?"

"As many as needed," Morderd said, staring Arthur in the eye. They stared each other down, neither speaking, until they were interrupted by one of the men behind Arthur letting out a small cry of pain. The young knight drew his sword, causing Morderd's men to do the same.

"You break our truce,
father?" Morderd asked as Arthur's men drew their swords. Arthur himself pulled Excallibur from his sheath, his heart heavy. He would have words with the young knight – if they survived.

"I didn't – it – there was a snake!" the man cried, stammering. But Morderd didn't hear him, lunging forward at Arthur. The king had no choice – he had to stop the blow. The battle of Camlann had begun. Little did he know it was to be his last.

The counsel of war didn't take as long as Maria had expected. Arthur briefed everyone on what had been happening, and explained the plans. He then began to split the knights into groups, giving them others to command.

There were three groups, Arthur leading one, Bors leading another and Merlin in charge of the last. Maria, Callum and Katrina were all send in different groups, Katrina with Merlin's to lead them through one of the tunnels. The others would be a distraction.

The moon was high in the sky when they left the cottage, illuminating the valley and the glowing knights. Maria wasn't sure if they were ghosts – they seemed to be solid – or actually alive. If they were alive, why would they be glowing?

It didn't really matter, what did matter was the end was in sight. They were so close – so close to ending Kingsly's rule – to being free!

Marie felt excitement well inside her. For nearly three years her sole goal was to dethrone Kingsly. And now – now she had a chance. For nearly three years she had wanted to avenger her father, and now – now she had a chance.

"Ready?" Callum asked her, and she nodded, breathing deeply. She turned, facing him, making sure she embedded his face into her memory. This might be the last time she ever saw him. Suddenly he moved forward, pulling her into a hug.

"Stay safe," he said.

"You too, Cal," she whispered. She felt like he was her last friend. Lance was dead now, and Katrina had betrayed them. She couldn't lose Callum as well.

"Good luck," Katrina said, a slightly wistful look on her face. A day before, she would be receiving a hug from Callum – a kiss even. But now she was almost like a stranger.

"You too," he said.