Chapter Twenty-Three: Relive

No one seemed to pull the strange sword from where it was imbedded in a block of red marble, floating on the river beside Camelot. Arthur watched as his knights tried, remembering another time no one could pull a sword from a stone – but this time even he couldn't.

There was a strange inscription on the side of the marble –
Never shall a man take me but only he by whose side I ought to hang, and he shall be the best knight of the world.

Of course everyone had tried, but they had all failed – Gwaine, Lancelot, Percivle, even Arthur himself. It seemed no one could pull the sword from its stone.

So, Arthur eventually gave up and returned to the city to begin the feast.

It was well underway when the door burst open, and two men walked inside. One was old, the other much younger.

"What brings you here?" Arthur asked, standing. The old man said nothing, leading the younger around the table. No one spoke, everyone watched the two men as the arrived at the Siege Perilous.

Arthur licked his lips, remembering what Merlin had said a long time ago – when the Siege Perilous had its knight, a dark time was near, and trouble was coming.

The old man pulled off the covering of the seat, and those nearest leaned closer to see the magical wording on the back. As they watched, the name shifted and changed, changed to a name. Galahad.

Arthur recognized that name, Galahad was Lancelot's son, who he had knighted not long ago. But why was the young lad here now? And he was the one who was to sit in the Siege Perilous?

"The boy has come, sire," the old man said, bowing and leaving the room. Galahad glanced after him nervously, and perched himself onto the seat beside his father, seemed uncomfortable.

"Welcome, Sir Galahad," Arthur said, reminding himself of his manners. "We welcome you to the Round Table!"

A cheer went up, and the knights all raised their goblets.

"Sir Galahad!" they cried as one. The boy smiled, ducking his head and looking at the plate of food in front of him.

They enjoyed the meal, feasting and laughing together as they always did. Arthur didn't know it at the time, but it would be the last time all the knights were around the table – in the days to come many would die, many would never return from quests.

But now, it was a time of feasting, and after the feasting, Galahad tried his hand at pulled the strange sword from the strange stone.

And to everyone's surprise, the young man drew the sword as easily as Arthur drew his own, many years ago. He raised it above his head and smiled, holding it high as the sunlight flashed off the blade.

"The greatest knight there ever was," Arthur muttered. He himself was surprised it wasn't Lancelot who drew the sword – his friend was the best knight he knew.

But as he congratulated Galahad, he noticed the boy's father speaking closely with Guinevere, and he knew in his heart why Lancelot could never be the greatest knight in the world – he had but once sin. His son however – Galahad would grow to be a greater knight than him.

It was dark by the time Katrina appeared. Maria was still sitting against the tree, not saying anything. Callum and Arthur had spoken together for a while, but eventually they fell into silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

Katrina was carried a few weapons, a sword – Excalibur, Maria assumed – and a few pistols. Not much, but better than nothing.

She slipped down the hill, having come from over land instead of through the tunnel.

"Father doesn't know where you are," she said, a tiny smile over her face. "He thinks you've vanished. Masters is scouring the whole building, but they won't find the trap door."

"I hope not," Callum said.

Katrina nodded, throwing Arthur his sword as she spoke.

"We can't stay here long though, a few days at the most. He'll find us eventually."

Arthur nodded, catching the sword and spinning it in a circle.

"He will not be around to find anyone in a few days," he said.