Chapter 3 - A chance for something new

Chance awoke to the kookaburra’s laughter in the trees outside his window. He stretched and yawned, he had hardly slept with the thoughts of the evening thrumming through his mind. Sam had completely blown him away in so many ways.

He had been so surprised by the attic when he went up there. It was actually a completely self-sufficient space. It had its own kitchen, bathroom, dining, lounge and bedrooms. It took up the whole floor space of the house so each room was incredibly spacious. Its rustic colours reflected Sam's personality perfectly. She had laughed so prettily at his shocked face before shoving him back downstairs with a warning to be up early.

He almost ran down the stairs in his excitement to get this new day started. He wanted to get to know Sam, now that she was no longer hidden from him. There was something about her that he felt irresistibly drawn to but with no idea as to why.

The kitchen was as busy as ever, but this time it was Sam behind the stove cooking in her cut-off denim shorts and a baggy pink t-shirt. His grin widened as he noticed supplies spread over the kitchen counter from sunscreen to fishing lures.

"Morning." He said quietly and she jumped back swearing profusely

"Bloody hell! Don't do that." She slapped him across the arm as she turned back to her scrambled eggs.

"Sorry." He said with a laugh

"And here I was making breakfast for you so you wouldn't starve. I should just eat it all myself." She growled at him. She just looked so cute and flustered that he chuckled again "Sit." She ordered

He obediently sat at the stool she had pointed to and she proceeded to serve him a plate of eggs then one for herself. They ate in silence but for some reason there was no awkwardness between them, everything seemed just as it should be.

"I hope you've got swimmers. You will need them it's supposed to be pretty hot today. I've got everything else organised." She explained

"Yeah I've got some boardies somewhere."

"Then get them after this and I'll meet you out at the Ute." She told him and he nodded his head

He was glad that she was happy to eat quietly; it gave him an opportunity to study her without making it obvious. She always seemed so organised and in control. Even now she was up and carrying bundles of stuff out the door. She struggled with the esky so he quickly helped her before searching for his boardies.

He could hear the engine rumbling as he approached the front door. She was sitting in the driver’s seat, deeply absorbed in a book. He opened the door and she glanced at him with a brief smile before gesturing him inside.

They drove for at least a full half hour bumping across paddock after paddock. Chance just sat back and took in the views that surrounded him. The radio was blaring out a country song that Sam was quietly singing along to. He was surprised to find her so relaxed around him, but it seemed that when she said they were friends she meant it. None of that prissy arguing stuff that girls normally did and he appreciated it.

She finally pulled the Ute up to the edge of the shaded riverbank and jumped out. Chance followed and watched in utter amazement as she pulled out two foldable chairs, numerous fishing rods and reels, two hats one of which she threw to him and finally some bait in the form of worms.

"Now we are officially ready." She said happily

She chose a rod, finding her favourite hidden in amongst the lot. She quickly secured a worm on the hook, unfolded the chair and plonked it in the shade. Then she was casting the line out and sitting down while Chance just watched her. He was flabbergasted at how quickly she could move, but soon enough he was sitting down beside her with a line of his own out.