Chapter 5 - Moron!

Hey cupcakes! I really hope you guys are liking this story. Any constructive criticisms and corrections are welcome, but comments that offend either me or other users will not be tolerated, and neither will foul language. Love you guys, enjoy!

Johnny, Sue, and Reed looked at Ben with narrowed eyes. He went to say something, but Sue cut him off, glaring him down.

"Sit." Be sat in the armchair behind him, not daring to disobey her. "Now, explain." Ben did as he was told, telling them everything. When he was done, Johnny spoke up, still extremely angry.

"Really? You thought she would hate you?"

"Her mother did, Johnny. Besides, I didn't want her around a freak like me." Johnny gave an empty chuckle, shaking his head.

"You still don't get it, do you?" Ben watched in confusion as the younger man walked closer to him. "That's not your choice. You might be her father, but you don't get to choose who she gets to be around, especially now! You don't get to decide anything for her life anymore, and you can't tell her what to do! Your daughter is all grown up and she wants to be around you! Didn't you see how happy she was? She doesn't think you're a freak, and she doesn't hate you, you moron! Even after all the crap you pulled on her!"

"Sorry." Ben mumbled. Johnny looked at him in disappointment.

"We're not the ones you have to make it up to. You'd better hope she forgives you, big guy. Even a sweetheart like her can only take so much." The other three watched as he walked away. When did he get so mature? He really did care, and he knew more than anyone expected. Ben said goodnight to the other two before heading off to find Darcy and apologize. He was about to knock, when he heard her voice from inside. He knew he shouldn't eavesdrop, but he was curious. So, he leaned towards the door, and listened.

"I know. I meant to call as soon as I settled in, but I got a bit sidetracked. You know how I am about stuff like this." There was a pause where Ben heard nothing, but Darcy heard Kurt's voice clearly, answering her.

"Zat is fine, Meine Gelibte. Zey are you family, and you haven't seen zem for years. I vas just a little vorried. How did it go?" Darcy spoke again, the only one Ben could hear.

"Not as well as I hoped. My dad told the others that I never called, not even once. He doesn't want me here, Kurt." Ben frowned at that. Who was Kurt? It had better not be a boyfriend.

"Yes he does, Darcy. He is just vorried zat you vill act ze same as you mother. He vill come around, angel. Don't vorry so much." Darcy heaved a heavy sight and and tired chuckle, causing Ben to wonder what this "Kurt" had said.

"You're annoying when you're right, you know that?" Kurt's laugh sounded in her ear, a welcome and pleasant sound after the day she had had.

"I know, liebling. Now get some rest. Who knows vhat plans you have tomorrow. I love you." Darcy smiled, answering. Ben glowered outside the door at her next words.

"Love you, too. Goodnight." The light switched off in her room, and he heard the rustle of sheets, and then silence. Ben left, thinking now was a bad time to talk with her, and lay on his be, staring at the ceiling, deep in thought. Of course he loved his daughter. No, he didn't want her here, but it wasn't because of anything he had vocalized. He didn't want her to get hurt, as cliche as it seemed. Their job was dangerous, and he didn't want her mixed up in it. Simply the thought of her being hurt made him feel sick. This was also the reason he was worried about this Kurt kid. Of course, he had to remind himself that it could be purely platonic. He shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Before he drifted off, Johnny's words floated through his mind, and he realized the kid was right. Not that he would tell him that. His little girl had grown up, and it was his fault that he missed it. She was an adult, and it was her choice what she wanted to do. She could take care of herself, especially with boys.

Of course, that didn't mean that, should anyone hurt his little girl, they would continue life in one piece.