Peaches

There's a heavy but familiar weight on top of most of my body as I regain consciousness and a smile comes to my lips easily. What of me that isn't pinned down by his arm or torso is twisted around him in an interesting little knot. One leg is laced through his, my toes pressed into the back of his knee and while I don't know whose arm is on top, his is definitely pressed across my chest, his head buried against my shoulder. I'm not certain, but I think his lips are pressed very near a bite mark he left. I am a happy kind of sore all over and I stretch out different muscles, testing their tenderness all while trying not to wake him.

When I flex my quads, my toes brush against the inside of his leg and his hand shoots out, grabbing my knee and draping my leg over his hip. His hand caresses my skin slowly.

"Ticklish?" I ask.

"Just thought I'd help. What you need is a doctor's touch." I want to tease him for his rotten comment but he squeezes my thigh and then leisurely works his way to my hamstring and calf and all coherent thoughts are gone for several moments. He rolls back onto the pillow, pulling my leg a bit higher, and massages my ankle and foot between his hands. I could stay like this forever.

Finally, I murmur, "Sorry I woke you. But not really."

"I've been awake for a while, darlin'. Just been enjoying this. You. I've missed waking up with you in my arms."

I rotate so that my hands rest on his chest and my chin on top of them. His eyes are half-lidded as he looks at me, a smirk on his lips.

I want to ask him what changed, why he wants me now and not six weeks ago but I can't seem to find the courage so I just look at him. His smirk grows.

From the front of the room, I hear a faint buzzing and crane my head to see what it could be. I look back at him and his broad grin. He paws the sides of my head and offers, "It's your PADD. Warpcores to waffles that's your momma."

I groan, dropping my head against his chest. "Can I ignore her?"

"She's called eight times."

I groan again and crawl to my feet, not able to escape the bed before he nips my side.

I scoop up the device and scroll through all the missed messages, scoffing. "Only seven are from mum." I tsk as another call comes through. "Now eight."

He's laughing as I accept the comm and I have to shoo him to quiet down.

"Hey, momma!" I say far too cheerily.

"Sadie Juliette Walker, I've been comm'ing all morning! Are you okay? What happened? Was that a man? Did you get attacked? Did you call me 'momma'?"

I blink at her rapid line of questioning. "Everything's fine, mum!"

McCoy chooses that moment to walk to the lav, throwing up his hand in greeting as he passes. His back is to me but I can practically hear the grin crackling on his face.

"Nick off!" I hiss at him but that only makes him laugh.

"Is that the doctor bloke?"

"McCoy, mum. And, yes, it is."

The corner of her mouth pulls upward. "Good. I like him."

"Yeah. Me too."

There's a comfortable silence between us where I'm staring off in a daydream and she's watching me contently.

Eventually, she offers, "I'll let you get on with it. I'm just glad to know you're not dead. Give my love to Meiying."

I freeze. She's caught me off guard and she can see it all over my face. What do I say? How do I say it? My heart's in my throat and it's beating unevenly.