Prologue

"Klomash! Lo'tah!"

The alien grabs my dislocated shoulder and presses its taloned thumb into the unnaturally hollow void below my clavicle. My spit grows pervasively thick in my throat and my tongue hangs from my lips to make room.

"Peaches," I gag.

"Peeecheewsss?"

***

"Peaches?" He asks, quiet and oozing southern America charm.

I spin to face him. "Mind your place, cadet. It's Ensign Walker."

"Feisty, aren't we?"

"Factual and indifferent."

"Want to be factual and indifferent over lunch?"

"I don't think that's a good idea, Mr.-"

"Doctor. Leonard McCoy, but friends call me Bones."

"You're tenacious, McCoy. I'll give you that."

"Lunch it is, then."

***

I shake my head fractionally. "No. Lieutenant Sadie Walker. USS Enterprise."

"Djhamene stumnik! Stumnik!"

Not understanding this request I let my head lull from my neck as deadweight, unable to hold it up any longer.

The alien grabs my chin harshly with its free hand yanking my face up, its scaly skin like sandpaper against an open wound I didn't realize I had. I can smell its foul breath, a mix of rotting garbage and cat pee. It digs its talons further into the place where my shoulder should be and tears instantly spring to my eyes. Panting desperately, I try to ignore the tickling sensation of the moisture as it drips from my nose and chin.

***

"I love you, Sadie Walker. I want you forever."

I savor what he said.

Silence draws out between us, his words warming the air like baking cookies.

"You're leaking again, little robot."

He wipes the corners of my eyes and I realize I am crying, the tears rolling down my cheeks, pooling in my ears and tickling my jaw.

***

"Chruinliq freulk wafrum klimnes! Stumnik!"

"Stumnik? I--I don't under...don't understand," I huff, trying in vain to rip away from the monster's grasp.

"Stumnik!"

I snap. There's no other explanation. Unexpected strength courses through my body and I kick out, connecting with its knee joint and forcing a howl of frustration to burst from its lips.

"Bugger off you bloody wanker! And go stumnik yourself!"

Murder fills its eyes and it lunges for me, grabbing my dislocated shoulder and piercing my side with one of its long talons. Slowly it twists the appendage and my eyes roll into the back of my head. I'm going to pass out and I'm grateful. Who wants to be coherent when their demise is imminent?

A cacophonous rumble erupts from the hallway, stealing the alien's attention. Its hold on me slackens and I regrettably regain a bit of my faculties. I stumble backwards, falling to my backside and jarring my jaws together before my head whips back and cracks against the ground.

I whimper, shocked by the immense amount of pain I'm in. My vision blurs and blood rushes in my ears. "Stupid frog," I mumble before passing out.

My story may end here but I prefer to start in a much better place. On the Enterprise, my home, with my best friend.