Chapter 8

Panick Attack

Sophie's heart skipped a beat at the voice and her face immediately began heating up. Her word's caught in her throat and it took some effort to spit it out. "Yeah...come in."

Kaitlyn sauntered through the door chewing bubble gum. Her eyes caught Sophie's alarmed expression, and instead of reassuring her she decides it was best to push the topic forward and get her all anxious. "You think you can keep this secret from us?" She blew her gum which popped after a second or two making Sophie jump slightly. "Well now I know...and soon, so will everybody else."

"What...what are you talking about? There's no secret..." Sophie tried not to stutter but she was way too scared. What if everyone in the family found out? Would they kick her out of the house in this condition? Forget about the family...Nathan himself would do the honors of picking her up and dumping her on the sidewalk to be mistaken as trash and transported to a place for the un-trustable.

"First of all, you suck at lying. And second, are you calling me blind? I saw this going down with my own eyes." Kaitlyn nodded in certainty.

"Oh no...you're eyes are fine." Sophie gulped. "How much did you see?"

"I saw enough to know that you love my brother way too much. You wanna do all sorts of things with him, but he doesn't. If he's not ready...he's not ready. Calm your hormones is all I'm saying."

Sophie wanted to burst into laughter as soon as Kate said that, but instead resisted the urge and perched her lips together. She shook her head in agreement to Kaitlyn's comment since she for sure knew that nothing of hers would be aroused by Nathan.

"And one last thing. I'm going to make sure that this wedding does not happen... my brother deserves someone way better than you. Maybe a girl who doesn't work at some low graded fast food restaurant?" Kaitlyn sneered.

"Oh really? And you're going to find him someone else? Let me guess.. your looking for someone who's just like you; blond, pretty, and a complete bitch."

Kate pointed an accusing finger at Sophie. "For that, your going to pay. By the time I'm done, Nate will hate you."

Sophie let out a hysterical fake laugh. She knew that Nathan already hated her. Give anymore hate, and he'd be sure to burn because of the fire boiling inside of him. Kate would lose a brother, and Sophie would just grin devilishly at the funeral. "Game on sister-in-law." She gave a sweet smile.

Kaitlyn stared at Sophie for a while, observing her face. She let her bubble pop, and then walked out. She didnt know what her brother saw in Sophie. They were complete opposites. But this time she was gonna make sure that opposites do not attract.

In the afternoon, Sophie sat on the bed playing with her fingers, admiring the rose pink nail polish that Madeline and Leighton forcefully did on her hands earlier in the day. She had refused several times, but they wouldn't give up. In the end, the three sat in the room on the king sized bed and pretended to be part of a nail salon. She had never done anything like that in her entire life, for which her fingers would always be plain and empty. When her father walked out on her family, the financial state broke down and every penny was counted for. Sophie's mother worked full shifts to raise her kids but somehow still was able to provide the unmeasurable love and time to them. For that, Sophie will do anything and everything for her mother whom she respects and admires to a great extent.