Chapter 7

Busted

Sophie held on to her breath as she walked quietly down the flight of stairs. One small noise could wake anyone, and this would spoil her chance of escaping. The wooden staircase seemed a bit slippery near the end, where Sophie almost lost balance but thankfully caught on to the railing for support. When her foot landed on the ground, she breathed out in relief.

The wide hallway was silent against her breathing, which was all she could hear. Sophie looked to her right where a family photo hung. They all stood in a line, the older one's at the back and the young ones at the front. The boys wore surfing shorts, and the girls wore colourful sundresses. Smiles bounced on every single one of their faces showing the happiness that they felt at the beach.

Sophie walked up to the photo, and a small smile spread across her face. They looked like the super huge, perfect family you see on TV. Her life was never this perfect, but the downfall after that horrible incident proved to her that is will never be. Now Sophie was left alone; working full time shifts at Bill and Jill's Burgers to support and pay for that one mistake.

She whipped herself around to just run. Run from this entire place and never come back. Perfection...the only reason this family was perfect was because they had money. Money to blow everywhere. Enough money to go where ever their heart desired, whether it be the sunny Miami beaches, or the cold arctic to meet polar bears. They even had money to hire someone in their time of need and use them. A tear ran down her face, and she wiped it away immediately. Sophie had to stay strong, just like she has been for the past 5 years.

Sophie took a step towards the door, almost at the same time her purse smashed against a flower vase perched on a table under the picture frame. Remembering her good reflex skills in volleyball during her highschool years, she dove for the vase as it was inches to crashing with the ground.

Her hands reached for it almost at the right time, but a second too late. Sophie's mouth shot open in surprise as the vase shattered into a billion pieces. Her heart raced in her chest as she thought about what to do. Her eyes darted from the door to the broken vase, and a split second later she ran for it. 

Sophie opened the door and bolted towards the gate, not daring to look back. When she was at the large white fence, Sophie began to panic. "Shit!" She pushed and shook but the fence just wouldn't budge. Sophie analyzed the height and made up  a decision. Sophie couldn't go back, so she'd just climb over it. She grabbed on to a curved opening and pulled herself on to the fence. Her hand and feet worked at a fast but nervous pace as she worked her way up like she was climbing a gigantic mountain. Sophie's foot missed a curve and her heart jumped thinking she was going to fall. Sophie got her grip on the fence back, and made her way to the top. Sophie swung one of her legs around to the other side, and froze at the sudden sound.

"Hey! What are you doing?!" It was Nathan's dad standing at the front of the door.

Sophie's face flushed, and the thumping in her chest grew louder and louder by the second. She sat on the top of the 30 ft tall gate and looked down. "Oh god, please save me." And then she jumped...

Sophie heard a cracking sound come from her knee and the pain shot up, right before her eyes blacked out.