Eighteen Years Later...PART ONE: Gwen

My eyelids flutter open. Mama is banging a spoon against a pot to wake us up. I slide off the straw tick and shiver. As fast as I can I slip out of my nightgown and into my corset, petticoats, white underdress, pale blue wool dress, stockings, shoes, apron, and shawl. I brush my long, dark, curly hair and braid it in one braid down my back.

        I smooth the quilts over the straw ticks and help my younger sisters get ready. I have three of them. Ophelia age fifteen, Tatiana age eight, and Raisa age four. I also have three brothers, Burumi age nineteen, Enor age thriteen, and Isud age eleven. I'm the second oldest at age eighteen.

        "Good morning, Mama!"

        "Good morning, Gwen."

        After breakfast and the dishes are done being washed, I go out to the barn to feed the chickens. After sprinkling some chicken feed on the ground I cross to the window. It's raining so hard that I can't see a thing.

        "Gwen!"

        I turn around. It's Roger. Roger is tall with dark hair and broad shoulders. His usual stubble beard is clean-shaven. Today is the big day. He's going to ask Papa for my hand in marriage. He envelopes me in a hug. 

        "Wish me luck."

        I kiss his cheek. "Good luck."

        He dashes back into the rain. I finish my chores then go into the house. Roger comes over to me and spins me around.

        "Put me down!" I cry.

        "Anything you wish, my lovely wife-to-be!"

        I run to Papa and give him a hug. Mama reaches for me and I give her a kiss on the cheek.

        "I should probably get going," Roger says.

        I give him another hug and he hurries away. I go into the bedroom. Ophelia is scrubbing the floors.

        "Ophelia, I'm getting married!" I pull her up and we spin around the room.

        "That is so exciting! I always knew you and Roger would get married."

        "Me too."

        "Did not."

        "Did too!"

        Ophelia sighs dramatically. "This is so emotional."

        I giggle. "You're so silly, Ophelia!"

        "It's going to be the prettiest wedding in all of Astheia! Want to know why?"

        "Sure."

        "Because I am going to decorate. Are you getting married at Grizzly Giant Grove?"

        "Of course! That's where all the weddings of the forest are."

        "There will be candles everywhere and perfumes and lots of flowers and woven rugs on the ground and you will look so pretty and lots of people will be there! Everyone in the forest!"

        "That would be so embarrassing!"

        "What would be embarrassing?"

        "Getting married in front of everyone."

        "I guess. Gwen, you're so lucky. I wish somebody loved me the way Roger loves you."

        "You're only fifteen!"

        "When did you meet Roger?"

        "When I was six."

        "I prove my point."

        "Not really. Besides, I didn't fall in love with Roger then."

        "Whatever. I still cannot believe you are actually getting married!"

        Tatiana enters the room. "Who's getting married?"

        "Roger and Gwen!" Ophelia cries.

        Tatiana's eyes grow huge. "Really?"

        I nod.

        "Girls! Are you done cleaning?" Mama calls.

        We look guiltily at eachother and immediatley begin scrubbing the floors.

        The next day Mama sends me off to collect some berries for her. Roger is going to meet me there. I'm so excited to see him that I run off without the baskets. Mama has to call me back to grab them.

         When I arrive at the berry patch Roger is already there. We talk for awhile as we pick the fat berries. After we're finished Roger helps me to my feet. He leans in to kiss me, but I duck and run off. He chases me. When he finally catches me he scoops me into his arms and carries me back to the berry patch.

        "You two are so cute," somebody says.

        Roger sets me down. I glance up to see Ophelia sitting on a branch and blush.

        "Don't be embarrassed, Gwen! Anyways, Mama needs you."

        "Bye, Gwen," Roger says kissing me.

        "Bye, Roger."