1. The Inn

Hey guys, so this is my first story, and I'm so excited to see how it will turn out! thanks to everyone who has already fanned me! The pic is of the Moonstone Beach! soo... drop a comment, vote, and tell me what you think!

A huge thanks to Mossman who took my challenge and discovered errors in my story!! I really appreciate it!! :)

__________________________________________

"Skylar? Where are you?" My mom yelled from somewhere in the front yard. "We have to go! Now!" Her voice was full of stress and unwillingness.

"I'm coming!" I yelled out my balcony window, which was directed to the front yard. I saw my mom slowly walking towards the silver Jeep, with a bunch of flattened packing boxes. I sighed, and ran my way past my room, down the beige stairs, and crashed through the front door.

"I think that's a new record!" I called out to her. I smiled and quickly jogged over to help load the boxes.

"Quit messing around, and help me out kid!" My mom said sarcastically. "Let's go! We don't want to be late to load up Great Aunt Tilly's old junk!"

Aunt Tilly is somehow related to me by my moms second cousin, three times removed. Something or other like that. Apparently she passed away two weeks ago, by 'falling down her stairs'. That's what we were told so, might as well just shut up and deal with the baggage.

"You might be able to keep some of her stuff if you want. Since no one else even wants to bother to clean up her house." My mom said. Her mahogany hair was tied back today, showing of her stunning forest green eyes and her soft red cheeks.

I shrugged and hopped into the front seat. I sat there waiting for her to get in and start the car. I pulled down the sun visor and flipped open the latch to the mirror. I studied my facial features, and tried to compare my self to my mom and dad, with the types of genes I got from them. I got my narrow nose from my mom, my blue-gray eyes from my dad, but the almond shape from my mom. I also inherited my dads skin type, in the case, isn't the best thing, seeming how he always has dry skin. Sadly, I have my own feature which is fair skin; so I burn to easily in the sun. It's weird living in a sunny state, and being pale.

Then I focused on the shape of my face, which was a smoothed out heart. My jet-black hair was loosely pulled up into a bun, and it made my faint pink scar on my right cheek bone, stick out a little more then I liked. Long story short, when I was little, I accidentaly stood to close where there was hot oil boiling so, you can pretty much imagine what happened from there. But it didn't look like it was a splattered spot a centimeter long. It somehow had more of a crescent shape to it.

"Admiring yourself, again Sky?" My mom teased.

"Oh Deloris. Of course I am. You know I can't live without a mirror close by me at all times!" I said dramatically. She smiled and rolled her eyes.

She gently punched my arm and said, "Don't call me by my first name child!" She twisted the keys in the ignition and the jeep roared to life. I got butterflies in my stomach every time I thought that one day it would be mine.

*****

After an agonizing seven hour drive from my hometown, Layton to Cambria, California, it felt good to get out and get some fresh air. The hotel we checked into wasn't five star, or anything close to it. From the outside, it looked like a small, humble inn. But on the inside, the faded yellow walls looked almost as bad as the rat droppings in every corner of the place. The smell of beer and cigarets was heavy, and the whole place itself was unwelcoming. The only plus I could think was that, Moon Stone Beach Park, was only ten minutes away by car.

"I made a reservation yesterday. It's under Austins,'" My mom said sweetly. The lady behind the desk had coarse, ratty bleach blond hair that wrapped around the back of her neck and fell down a few inches past her shoulder. Her foundation looked like she applied it with a spoon, and her eye make-up was old and crusted back. Her lips were thin, but they were hard to ignore because of the scarlet lipstick that went past her lip line more than necessary. I won't even get started on how bad her tan didn't fit her natural skin color.